1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

1979 Bandmaster Reverb question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by johnnyguitar, Sep 3, 2005.

1. johnnyguitar

johnnyguitar Long in the tooth Silver Supporting Member

My 1979 Bandmaster Reverb has 2 adjustments in the back one is hum balance and the other is output tubes matching...can someone explain these to me..and there is no internal pot to bias amp could one of these be this bias adjustment??..thanks in advance

2. loverocker

loverocker Member

I think I remember reading that there the bias adjustment was one of the differences in the blackface-silverface development. If so, you can find details on changing it on any of the online Vibroclone guides (how to convert a sf BMR to a bf VibroVerb).

3. Jef

Jef Member

The BMR's with those controls are probably the late 70s ultralinear 70 watt versions. They are not easily blackfaced because of the different power supply (SS rectifier, higher voltages) and UL output section.

Those amps are pretty good amps in their own right. They're not going to sound as organic as a BF or early SF, but if you like a tight, responsive, loud and clean tube amp, they're the ticket.

Jef

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The balance pot can be rewired to be a "true bias" pot by a tech. This is highly recommended.

All you'll need then is a bias probe similar to a Bias Rite www.webervst.com and you'll be all set. No scopes or signal generators required.