1979 Fender Bassman 70 Head Trade

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Torren61, May 26, 2015.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Member

A guy from my neighborhood brought up a possible trade for my 2011 Gibson SG 60s Special Tribute. He has a 1979 Fender Bassman 70 head. We fired it up in my music room and it has a bit of radio type noise. No radio channels came through but it's not really a hum. A couple of the pots need cleaning or replacement. I don't know the make of the power tubes yet. Gonna check those out tonight. It has one RCA tube in V1, two Fender tubes in V2 and V3 and a Telefunken in V4. I'm going to put in a Telefunken AU7 and some JJ ECC83S tubes. My gut is telling me to pass on the Fender unless he can sweeten the deal.

2. mrmatt1972

mrmatt1972 Member

If I needed or wanted the amp I'd suggest he pay to get the amp serviced (cap job, cleaning, test tubes, check bias) to make it a more fair trade.

Torren61 likes this.
  3. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

YeH as it stands it's not a fair trade. The UL SF Basman 70's from the late 1970's, while not as bad as some Mae them out to be- especially if you actually want the clean headroom- are not that in demand. You would have a much harder time unloading it later than you would your SG if you decided to down the road.

Especially in its state, which sounds like it at minimum needs a whole new tubes set, a cap job and possibly a wire dressing (assuming the transformers are good) you would be coming up short in that deal. If it was an early (68-72) SF Bassman, it might be a closer trade. But even then with at least new tubes thrown in.

Torren61 likes this.
  4. Torren61

Torren61 Member

I appreciate the advice. I'm sure you guys are correct. I wasn't fishing for a "What's it worth?" thing. It's funny about the "worth" of an item. It really boils down to two things: What are you willing to give and what am I willing to take? If those two things don't come together, it ain't a deal.

5. Torren61

Torren61 Member

Well, I made the trade. I asked for some labor to be added. The guy lives down the street from me and does woodworking. He's going to build a head cab for my 1968 Traynor Bass-Master which has no head cab. He'll make it out of some African Wenge I have left over from a coffee table I built. He's also going to join and sand my studio desk top (I'm making a studio desk). He added a pair of Mesa Boogie branded 6L6GC power tubes.

Here are some shots of the head (I just ordered a jewel and lamp for the light):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]