1979 Fender Deluxe Reverb for $700???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mr. Crow, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

Hi-

A local fellow has a 1979 Fender Deluxe Reverb for sale for $700 firm. Has a replacement, newer Jensen C12N speaker. Tolex has some scars but it isn't totally beat. Push/pull on the volume.

Does $700 seem too high? Should I keep looking you think? I'm not scared away by the late 70's thing so much because I heard that these ones are a little cleaner sounding than their earlier brothers, which is actually good for me.

I haven't found many 70's Deluxes around as of late. Last local one was a 1979 with a JBL in it at $1000 firm. Just wondering what you folks thought.
    Of course I understand I have to play it and hear, but I'm asking if I played it and it sounded good what would you think of the price.

Thanks

2. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

That's a good price if the amp is original with no invasive mods.
    The Vintage guitar price guide lists it between $1200.-$1400. in excellent original condition.

3. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

Thanks for that opinion. If I do buy it, and after a while I don't bond with it or just move on, it's nice to know that I'll probably make my money back.

That should make it a little easier to pull the trigger.

4. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

Good price, don't hesitate.

5. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

My bass player found a CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN '79 with all original with stock speaker and cover for $300 about 6 month ago.

6. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Member

Better deals can always be found, but you'd have to be on the lookout on craigslist 24/7 for the next 6 months. $700 is a very good deal already, and it is very unlikely you would ever lose money reselling.

7. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

Yeah I don't think you'll lose any money if you do decide to sell it. If you grab it you'll have to let us know how it sounds. I've been interested in 70's Fenders, but haven't yet found one that really grabs me.

8. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

7 is a fair price. ANd don't let any thimble heads tell you that the 77-80 years are bad cause of the pull volume. THere's no difference, just don't pull the volume. I think either the weber California is an ultimate choice for the speaker.

9. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

Well I talked to the guy and I'm going over tomorrow afternoon. Any thoughts on the Jensen C12N reissue that's in the amp? Evidently it isn't even broken in, so I'll keep that in mind.

I keep thinking I should wait for a late 60's or early 70's Silverface, maybe get lucky and score one for in the $700 range like this one is, but I might just wait forever for that to come around.

If it sounds good and doesn't look too abused, I'm going to buy the dam thing.

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Yes, buy it unless it's been in a fire or flood.

Even if something else comes along, you won't lose on this one.

Lot's o' pics and a tone report, please.

11. oldrock

oldrock Member

in my area (dallas) generally the late 70s fenders don't get nearly the price inflation of the early 70s amps and especially anything from the 60s. Even a trashed 60s amp with lots of mods seems to sell for top dollar these days. Personally, I'd have no problem getting a clean all original late 70s fender. I'd say $700 is a fair price for it but not a bargain. If you really want that model, I'd probably suggest getting it but maybe try to talk them down a bit in consideration of the replacement speaker.

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

$700 isn't terrible, but it's not the most desireable Fender amp. I'd play it and see what you think. If you love it, or at least like the way it feels (in spite of the rather lackluster speaker) then grab it. If you hate it, you may find it takes a while to sell for a profit...