• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

1979 Fender Strat Antigua

I was just given this amazing guitar from my Father for my 50th BDay. I also have the matching Coronado II, but this little gem ... Ooh mama!

Hardtail, Maple/Maple neck, original case, heavy as hell.

I think the only non-original parts are the pickups. They have “3R” stickers on the back of them, so no idea what brand/type they are but it sounds great. 84279319-2B87-42CF-9973-D970C437F067.jpeg

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks all. It’s hard not to try and collect all of them, but I don’t have an extra $15k sitting around.

love that Tele Jayyj!
Thunder Road had a very reasonably priced Mustang recently I was quite tempted by, and I do fancy an Antigua Strat... The trouble is my experience of late 70s Fender is they're very mixed, so I'd prefer not to buy one blind but if one showed up locally for a fair price I'd definitely take a look at it.

Rumble

Instrumental Rocker
Gold Supporting Member
Nice. Original p/ups were dark-gray fiber types, usually date coded (worker number, week number, year number). Fender started using the new higher output X-1 bridge p/up around this time (w/yellow lead wire and number 96 = 9600 turns, 7K+ ohms resistance).

I have a refinished 79 hardtail.

Last edited:

Texsunburst59

Congrats on a killer gift.

I still have my '79 Fender Antigua Stat my father bought me.

It was my very 1st "REAL" guitar I ever owned.

It's been retired for years now because I was worried it could get damaged or stolen, and because of its sentimental value, I just couldn't let that happen.

It was my main gigging guitar for 10 yrs. before I retired it.

Here it is next to my '75 Mocha:

bluesuede

I hate antigua, but I have an S9 Strat. I haven't gone any further than the serial number to date it, but I call it a 79 for convenience' sake. I love that guitar. The late 70s Strats get a lot of criticism for being plastic encased pieces of crap with terrible tolerances and a funky truss rod/neck bolt design. Be that as it may, I love the way mine sounds and plays. Maybe it's only because I've had it for close to 40 years and am used to it, but it is the best feeling Strat I've ever played and will never sell it. And yeah, it is heavy. Heavy as my Les Paul or real close to it

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
Antigua is cool and hardtail Strats are cool. I guess the pickguards were painted and lacquered?

My Tele helpfully has a wear patch that shows exactly how they're done! It's a black three ply guard, undercoated white and then sprayed with the Antigua finish. The edges are then scraped clean to show the black/white/black layers.

rockinrobby

Senior member Professional musician ...
Double Platinum Member
I was just given this amazing guitar from my Father for my 50th BDay. I also have the matching Coronado II, but this little gem ... Ooh mama!

Hardtail, Maple/Maple neck, original case, heavy as hell.

I think the only non-original parts are the pickups. They have “3R” stickers on the back of them, so no idea what brand/type they are but it sounds great. View attachment 284340
Congrats on your 50th :banana

Here's mine I enjoys this guitar a lot!!

mikesch

Double Platinum Member
Congrats. I love Antigua. I was born in 79 which makes for slim pickings with birth year guitars. An Antigua hard tail strat is one of the few that I’d happily own.

strattone75

Gold Supporting Member
Congrats on a killer gift.

I still have my '79 Fender Antigua Stat my father bought me.

It was my very 1st "REAL" guitar I ever owned.

It's been retired for years now because I was worried it could get damaged or stolen, and because of its sentimental value, I just couldn't let that happen.

It was my main gigging guitar for 10 yrs. before I retired it.

Here it is next to my '75 Mocha:

That mocha is sweet! I got one from 74

BadAssBill

southofnash.com
Gold Supporting Member
The most polarizing color there is IMHO. I owned a 78 Tele for a few years, fun guitar.

Trending Topics