1979 fender stratocaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Benbritt, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Benbritt

Benbritt Member

Thinking about buying a 79 Fender strat, the finish on it is terrible yet original. The guy wants 900 but im sure i could talk him down to 800. Is this guitar worth it. It is mostly original aside from the tuners. Serial is S928765 so its between 79 and 81. Has original case, whats this thing worth? (Still trying to figure out how to post a pic of the guitar)

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Is that a fat headstock model? Original pickups, pots, cap, saddles?

3. drpoyer

drpoyer Member

After 75 they really become hit or miss... What changed a good bit was that the woods really became heavy (like les paul heavy) and so did the poly finishes. If those two things are not an issue and the parts are original, it is worth more than the asking just in the parts. (a fair deal). But if it weighs 10 lbs and the pickups are not original and the neck has an inch of poly on it, then... I would say no.

4. benxiwf

benxiwf Member

I have a 79 and when I bought it I looked at a lot of guitars in this time frame. Your price is good if the guitar is. Can you play it? I really like the pickups but not everyone will. Try to check the neck pocket out. A lot have some rather ugly big gaps on the sides which with the three point neck plate can cause issues. The three point setup in itself does not. Mine is a hard tail which is fantastic. Really great vibe and sound to it. They are not all great. If you like it, get it. It will set up and all that.

5. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Saw one in Sam Ash Wed for 2200. I've bought one new in 81 after searching all around. Heard horror stories but never had any issues beside weight, mine was great. The one I saw at SA had 1/8 body overhang at the neck. So I'd say 900 was great

6. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

I have a 78 Strat, it was my first real guitar. Paid $450 for it in 1982, which would be about $900 in today's prices.
    It's a great guitar, heavy, round neck, small frets, whatever. It still plays and sounds great and we have a long history.
    IF you like this guitar, get it. Seeing them under $1K is a reasonable price for them.

7. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

Assuming all the info you've been presented with is accurate, I'd say $900 is damn good despite the finish. Do a quick search on eBay's completed listing sales and compare apples to apples... even how much the parts are worth individually.

When I was looking to acquire parts for a 70s Strat project, the latter period were more affordable than pre-74. After the smoke cleared and lacquer was completely flashed off, I had a medium weight (8.4lbs) bad boy with a most desirable and comfy dark RW & birdseye '77 neck.

BUT, do yourself a favor (and due diligence) to authenticate as best you can with some thoughtful, good & solid internet research. It will pay dividends down the road.

8. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

By that point the body contours were but a suggestion. Management had changed compensation to,piecework, so a quick pass in the bandsaw, smooth the flat planes, and we're done!

9. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Member

I recently bought a 1979 Strat. It's about 9 1/2 lbs all original and plays fine. Got it for $1400 USD.

It's a black strat but has faded to a smokey blue so no longer looks black. At some point I may refinish it and if I do I may sand down the contours (belly cut, etc,) because it has almost nil at this point and will give it a bit of weight relief.

But so far I'm fine with it as is.

10. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Make sure you get a weight on it before you buy it. I have a 78 that weighs around 8.4 lbs and is my #1. Absolutely love that guitar. I did buy a strat hat I was told.was a 79 but when I took it apart the pots dated it to be a 81 so I was basically lied to. It was a nice guitar but it weighed around 10.5 lbs and I could never get use to the wieght so I sold it.

11. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

If you don't buy it let me know. Unless there is something major wrong with the guitar I would buy it.

12. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

What years was the 2 part thick finish... that often came off in chunks?

13. John C

John C Supporting Member

It wasn't all colors; it was "wine red" (a dark transparent red), black and the original pearl white finish used on the fist 300-500 of the 25th Anniversary model. I'm thinking it was only 1979 on Strats (and possibly Teles) and they went back to the "regular" thick finish in 1980.

The red and black were also used on the Lead models; it's on just about all Lead I and Lead IIs from 1979 and 1980, and possibly some of the 1981s as well. 1982 Leads definitely have the regular Fender finish.

14. SecondFloorTones

SecondFloorTones Member

I'm not familiar with the market and prices these days, but I used to have a 79, and it was absolutely rubbish! No contours, thick neck with small low frets, that stupid three-bolt neck plate. The worstwas the anemic pickups. Whatever you do, play it first.

15. mellecaster

mellecaster Member

Has anyone mentioned those "Lovely" Zinc saddles on those years yet ?...:tapedshut

16. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

Speaking only of the market value, 800-900 would be a good deal. You could pay a little bit more and get an all original clean example if your heart is set on an S9 Strat.