1979 Princeton push pull

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mahoney, Oct 5, 2008.

1. mahoney

mahoney Member

I have a 1979 Princeton on the way and it has the pushpull circuit.

Does that feature kill the normal clean fender tone when not in use?

Is there a simple fix to remove it or is it ok in the circuit.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

I've got one of those. I bought it after inquiring with local amp guru. He said the tone is not affected when the circuit is not engaged. However, there are voices in cyberspace saying it kills tone. I've seen instructions online showing how to remove the boost circuit entirely. Should be an easy mod.

My Princeton sounds gorgeous. I've done plenty of mods on the thing, but I never bothered to pull the boost circuit.

3. mahoney

mahoney Member

That is what I figured, thanks for the help.;)

4. 3m3r5

3m3r5 Member

I've got one too! It's a beautiful tone, haven't compared to a non pull boost but when I was reading up on it I found the vast majority saying if you leave it it doesn't affect the tone at all.

5. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I have one of these as my main amp. When I got it I took it to my amp guy to have it checked out. Not only did he say the circuit does nothing when not engaged.... he also said it was one of, if not the, best sounding PR he had ever heard. He said he'd beat me if I futzed with it :) All I did was use quality NOS tubes (A Mullard mil spec 12AT7 for the reverb is absolutley amazing) and a nice blue Alnico Emenece replacement speaker. The tones coming out of this "unwanted, pull boost PR" are incredible.

6. keninsyr

keninsyr Member

Had one years ago. Put a JBL D-120 in it and with the pull boost in or out it screamed. Great amp. Wish I still had it.

7. JS335

JS335 Member

I've got a 79 also. I did compare it to a non-pull boost sliverface model. The only difference I noted was that the volume curve seems steeper than the non-pull boost. In other words, the pull boost model is louder at say 2-3 than the non-pull boost model. Other than that, the tone is awesome Fender.

8. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

Agree with all of the above. I have a 1980 PR and it's my favorite clean tone amp. I don't like the amp with the boost pulled but pushed in the cleans are great. I have a NOS Mullard in V1 and this has worked the best for me. Love the reverb as well.

9. monstermike

monstermike Member

The taper of the push-pull pot is noticeably different from the standard volume pot, as JS335 said, but it's a difference you can get used to, and I never noticed a tonal problem with it.