1980 Gibson SG Standard vs 2011 SG '61 RI

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GibsonSGgirl, Jan 18, 2015.

1. GibsonSGgirl

GibsonSGgirl Silver Supporting Member

Hi everyone,

I own a 1980 Gibson SG Standard that I love. However, I played a 2011 SG '61 RI yesterday that really played and sounded amazing. It looked to have a one piece body too.

Do you all think it would be overkill to have 2 SGs with humbuckers? I know the pickups are different in the 2 guitars; my 1980 has a stock hb in the neck and a '57 classic plus in the bridge, and I'm not sure what the 2011 has, but I would guess it would be stock '57 and '57 plus, unless Gibson changed their pickups.

What do you think? Should I get the guitar? I mean, are there enough differences to make it a worthwhile purchase? Or should I be happy with what I've already got?

Thanks!

2. goodwater

goodwater Member

3. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

There are differences in the two guitars, mainly the neck joint and the placement of pickups.
    The 1980 with will have the neck PU mounted up against the fretboard and the bridge PU further away from the bridge.
    This will give it a different tone from the 2011.

At one time I had five SGs at the same time.

4. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

5. srmd22

srmd22 Supporting Member

I think it's okay to have two of the exact same guitar in different colors, since even exact same ones aren't ever exactly the same. So yes on the SG's as they are not even exactly the same. I have a '61 RI SG in white I recently picked up - I think they come with '57 classics in both positions stock - it rocks. In fact, why not show a pic:

[​IMG]

...or two...

[​IMG]

Then you could mess around with one of 'em, throw different pups or a bigsby on one, have some fun.

6. natebernstein

natebernstein Member

Um, this is TGP. you expect anyone to say "no"?
    ������������������������������

7. BK Verbs

BK Verbs Gold Supporting Member

If the Tele lovers can all have have 15, I think it's more than ok for you to have 2 SGs.

8. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

if you don't buy it, you need to change your name
    and when you DO buy it, you need to post pictures of both of them

9. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    The '61 will have a 1 piece body and '57s in both positions if its stock. I've had as many as 4 SG's at one time, so yes...you always need another. My '73 sounds much darker/fatter than my '61 RI, which sounds brighter and clearer. They both do different things because of how they're constructed. '61 RI's are probably some of the most desirable SGs, outside of Custom Shop VOS models. Another vote for getting it!

10. radiolab

radiolab Member

I'll be the odd man out by saying don't get it. If you're asking strangers if you should buy a guitar, it's not something you need. Since you already have an sg , that you love, maybe tuck that money aside for something else. Take a vacation and travel instead of dropping that $1200+ on a guitar.

But also remember, I'm a stranger too. So who can you trust.....

11. 3th3r

3th3r Member

SG = Several Guitars

12. sgmarshall

sgmarshall Member

I have 5 SG's, they are all different, love all of them:
    1992 Standard (498T/496R)
    1967 Special reissue (P90)
    Diablo (Burst buckers)
    Renault Blue special (Dirty Fingers)
    Wraptail Guitar Center special (put 57 classics in)
    I still need a 61 reissue

13. Franktone

Franktone Member

GibsonSGgirl go get that 61 Sg RI before it is gone or you might really miss it. The neck on the 61 RI is really different and creates a different feel. That just might be the guitar that makes you forget most of the others.

14. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

I have 4. All are great. All are different. YMMV.

15. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Sir, we're going to have ask you to leave now. You're talk about not buying a guitar is upsetting our other members. ;)

16. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I recently picked up a 2012 '61 Reissue, after having a 2003 SG Standard for several years. I was actually surprised at how different these two guitars felt when playing. The difference in the neck joint really changes how the guitars feel when played either sitting or standing. You notice the easier upper fret access of the '61 Reissue immediately, as well as the lighter weight. The '61 is the Ferrari of the two, and really facilitates fast playing up the neck. But the SG Standard has a beefier neck, that feels much more like a Les Paul. And since the SG Standard has more body thickness (and weight), it tends to balance better on the strap. This is partially because with the difference in neck joint, there is a difference in distance from the top of the headstock to the strap button on each guitar. That distance is shorter on the SG Standard, giving the guitar better balance (and less tendency for neck dive). So, the '61 does exhibit some neck dive, but not enough to be any kind of issue for a true SG player.

So, even though these are both SGs, there are significant differences that can be felt by the player. Honestly, I like both, for different reasons. The SG Standard is probably more comfortable when standing, and sounds more like a Les Paul. The '61 Reissue plays faster, and sounds more like a vintage SG. Both are awesome, and they are not redundant.

17. SolidGuitar

SolidGuitar Member

Yes! I love mine with the 57 classics, so that might be a reason on its own.

18. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

I lean towards the don't duplicate end of the spectrum, but I really like the '61 Reissues. I agree that the '57 Classics sound really good in the SG.

19. GibsonSGgirl

GibsonSGgirl Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Don't get me wrong--I love SGs! My dream is to own a vintage mid-late '60s Standard and Special one day, maybe even a junior or SG/Melody Maker! I'd love to have 5 or more SGs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

The '61 Reissues are fantastic. I love mine, and every time I play it I wish I had another, preferably in white, with a '57 Classic in bridge and a neck P90.