1980s guitar solos, played slowly

krik

I've been making these videos for remote students and also sharing them one at a time in the Playing and Technique forum. Thought I'd create a single thread for all of them here.

Included so far: Warren DeMartini, Vivian Campbell, Vito Bratta, George Lynch, Jake E. Lee, Alex Lifeson, Randy Rhoads, Matthias Jabs.

The quality is primitive, but the info is there for anyone who's interested (and if you aren't already interested, these will definitely not win you over!). Always happy to answer questions or discuss anything. Cheers! -Kirk

Warren DeMartini, "Round and Round" by Ratt (1984)

Randy Rhoads, "Flying High Again" by Ozzy Osbourne (1981)

And here's an earlier version where I forgot my guitar was still in standard tuning:

Vivian Campbell, "Rainbow in the Dark" by Dio (1983)

Vito Bratta, "Tell Me" by White Lion (1987)

Alex Lifeson, "Limelight" by Rush (1981)

Randy Rhoads, "Mr. Crowley" by Ozzy Osbourne (1980)

first or middle solo:

plus a better look at one part that I fumbled:

second or end solo:

George Lynch, "It's Not Love" by Dokken (1986)

a closer look at how I think he crosses strings during the tapping frenzy:

Randy Rhoads, "Over the Mountain" by Ozzy Osbourne (1981)

Jake E. Lee, "Bark at the Moon" by Ozzy Osbourne (1983)

Matthias Jabs, "Rock You Like a Hurricane" by Scorpions (1984)
(Sorry for the low video resolution and clippingly loud audio on this first one.)

Last edited:

krik

New video added to the list: Vivian Campbell's solo for "Rainbow in the Dark," from the Dio album Holy Diver.

krik

New video added to the list: Warren DeMartini, "Round and Round," from the Ratt album Out of the Cellar.

krik

New video added to the list: Randy Rhoads "Mr. Crowley" second or ending solo, from the Ozzy Osbourne album, Blizzard of Ozz.

krik

Kirk, these are great. Thanks for doing this. BTW is that a carving or something else?
Thanks @pfrischmann .

Yes, it's a Carvin HH1 that I bought new in 2012 and has been my number one ever since. The chambered body has a very attractive resonance to it, and the shape and size perfectly suit the way I hold the guitar in sitting position.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom