1980's Hamer Craze

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mtm105, Aug 13, 2005.

1. mtm105

mtm105 Guest

Hamers were very popular during the 80's.

Everyone from Judas Priest to even Billy Joel (himself) and his entire band played them. I saw Gary Moore in 87 playing Hamers exclusively, him and his band as well. Andy Summers, too.

Everyone knows Cheap Trick/Rick Neilson plays them, but they never named a model after him and that relationship has been kinda awkward since then. He tried to buy up part of the company and they wouldn't let him.

Stevie Stevens had a model named after him (who really cares?). Vernon Reid plays Hamers.

Then during the 1990's nobody was playing Hamers anymore. It was almost as if they never existed. Ibanez craze took over. Then PRS.

My 81 Special Opaque Red is going strong today. The double cutaway LP model is said to be crafted better than Gibson's.

2. HHB

HHB Member

big Hamer fan, I have a small endorsement from them. I'm not sure why but the company is doing it's best to distance themselves from their 80s guitars, they think theyre a jazz guitar company now, not sure it's the way to go but nobody asked me. I gigged my (yet another killer axe discountinued )Mirage II w/ tapped Rios last night, whammy abuse and stayed in tune, killer tones all around, went from Prince to ABB to Nickelback w/ aplomb

[​IMG]

3. mtm105

mtm105 Guest

I know big blocks, I had to transfer a 318 Dodge small block into a 1971 Plymouth Road Runner whose big block 383 had blown because I forgot to check the oil.

I was 17 yrs old (1983) and had limited knowlege of cars. It was in NJ during the middle of winter.

Apparently the transmission will accept both.

That winter was a living hell for me, took about 6 weeks.

4. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

Long as they keep making the Korina Vector & the Standard Custom, they've got a fan in me. I love my 99 Std Custom very much. Hopefully I'll be able to add more Hamers to my stable.

5. RSRelic

RSRelic Member

I'm a big Standard fan my self, and I've always wanted a Vector KK from the 80's. Here's a shot of my Standard custom
    [​IMG]

6. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

They still make a good guitar, but a little bit of the magic left when they moved from Arlington to Connecticut. Just my opinion. Some of the best guitars i owned. Would still have them if not for the flat radiused neck.

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I have forever lusted for a Standard Custom; one day. :D

I have a longtime Hamer player; dating back to the early 90's. Owned well over two dozen; pared down my "collection" a few years ago and my Hamer of choice is my beloved 95 Custom Studio. Absolutely killer rock guitar now loaded - *quite* happily - with WCR Darkbursts.

[​IMG]

8. phoenix

phoenix Gold Supporting Member

holy crap, I played that one at at Willcutts. No words will suffice for seeing that in person. heres some Hamer craftsmanship for you.
    [​IMG]

9. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

Love my Standard Custom!

[​IMG]

10. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

I really liked those Hamer SS models, I owned a few of them.
    Steve is a pretty damn good guitar player.

11. Scott Peterson

You guys are killing me with those Standards pics. Damn nice. :dude

12. mtm105

mtm105 Guest

ok. Tom Dumont, I was aware of him, but couldn't name him.

He isn't exactly a Marquee player, IMO.

I am not trying to sound too arrogant, but my question still remains......"Hamer's 1980's legacy virtually disappeared during the 90's." It is almost as if they were blacklisted.

Today I see a lot of Hamer advertisements in Guitar mags and there is definitely a resurgency. But maybe that is just a marketing ploy.

13. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

I thought I'd pile in and post 2 of my Standards.

[​IMG]

14. Scott Peterson

The real main reason they "fell off the map" is simply marketing. Hamer aligned themselves with the 80's metal scene so closely that when that style when out of favor, so did the Hamers associated with it.

The whole "retro" image that Hamer went with in the 90's tried to distance themselves favering the Custom Studio's and such.

The resurgence, if you want to call it that, is simply a good company making good guitars getting noticed again.

Marketing is simply what it is. Perception.

15. Redbell

Redbell Member

I thought they did have a Rick Neilson Model, wasn't it sort of an altered Explorer?

16. monacosis

monacosis Member

IMO, Hamer is doing their best work now, with or without the big name endorsements.

[​IMG]

However, i will add that comparing the recent offerings to the 80s models is a case of apples and oranges.

mike

17. Intelligentpony

Intelligentpony Member

Yes they did. It is the Gibson Futura design which was the Explorer prototype.
    [​IMG]

18. Intelligentpony

Intelligentpony Member

I have to know the specs on the red one. Looks like an Ebony board with the Sustaniac system not to mention the first fret marker, the Floyd and the reverse headstock. That has to be the most unique Standard of all time. What year is it and where did you find it?

19. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

Thanks! That is brand new (a few months old)-I had it custom made.

It was made to be as close a copy of Dave Sabo's as Hamer would build.

Hamer didn't want to build it, but me and my dealer did a little begging and Frank U decided he would do it for me.

Specs are as follows:

1 piece mahogany body
    Ultimate Grade Flame Maple top (you can't tell from the pic, because the red is so hard to photograph, but the flame pretty much matches the blue Standard and another couple of Hamers I have)
    Maple neck
    Ebony Fingerboard
    Black body binding and neck binding
    Pearl Crowns, including 1st fret
    Pearl inlayed logo
    reverse headstock
    Sustainiac Stealth Plus
    Duncan 59 in the Bridge
    Black Hardware
    Floyd Rose (First one Hamer has done in years)
    Repositioned pickup selector
    Master Volume, Master Tone, Intensity knob
    2 mini toggles for sustainiac on/off, and fundamental/harmonic/mix modes

This was also spec'ed with Kevan's Tremol-no, which will be on the guitar shortly.

Thanks for asking-it's one of my favorite Hamers!

A little more info here, BTW:

Hamer Guitars Designer Gallery

20. mtm105

mtm105 Guest

A Marquee player is a sports reference, sort of, to players who collect top salaries in the game...Barry Bonds, Jeter, etc....

I started this thread hoping that, while I was depressed during the 90's, because Hamers weren't really seen too often, that I might find out why.

Are the vintage Hamers considered collector's items???

A Hamer Special new costs more than you can find a vintage one used.