1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

1980's jaguar question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mcboyle, May 23, 2011.

1. mcboyle

mcboyle Member

does anyone know the quality of these? there is one on craigslist right now for only 500 bucks. they made it clear that it says made in japan and not crafted in japan meaning its from the 80's? its about 60 miles away though so if theyre not that great i will probably just go with the classic player ones from musicians friend or something. any suggestions?

2. mcboyle

mcboyle Member

3. james...

james... Member

That's a pretty good deal.

The japanese ones are good.

4. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

A lot, or all, of those were basswood bodies as I recall.

5. 909one

909one Member

I have one a MIJ from the early 90's and its great.
    That's a good price. Buy it.

6. 909one

909one Member

Looks like dude raised his price to $600.

7. james...

james... Member

8. mcboyle

mcboyle Member

that was actually the original price. i asked if he would do 500 and he said ya.

9. mcboyle

mcboyle Member

ok so i went ahead and purchased the guitar..got it home and nothing cam out of the guitar. no buzzing nor cracking when i wiggled the cable around in the jack. theres definitely some wiring issues in the jack and also needs to be intonated . does anyone know how much it would be to get the wiring fixed? or should i just get my money back?

the guy who sold it was being pretty cool about it considering i got it from craigslist. he said he hasnt played it in 2 year so he had no idea. i definitely want this guitar though. if it wont be too much to fix it i still want it. any suggestions?

10. james...

james... Member

Well it sounds like you aren't comfortable doing it yourself...

I would keep it and get new electronics. Take it to a tech. You're looking at $100 max but you'll have all new pots and such.

11. mcboyle

mcboyle Member

ya ive never done anything like that myself.

cool thanks.

12. TStrat99

TStrat99 Member

If I were you I'd gut the electronics and pickups and replace it all. I've got a mid 90s MIJ Jag that I did that to and it made a world of difference. It's been at the top of my rotation the last couple months.

Seymour Duncan would be a good choice if you don't want to go crazy on price. Novaks if price isn't an issue. He makes some sweet Jaguar pickups.

A jaguar is a pain to wire up. Wouldn't recommend doing it yourself if you've never rewired a guitar.

I'd look into putting in a new nut and string it up with 11s too while your at it.

13. whomad1215

whomad1215 Member

I have a 92 MIJ jag that I enjoy playing. The electronics are fine with mine, but if you need to rewire it. Yeah take it to a tech, I know I would be terrified to try that since I've never touched the innards of a guitar yet.
    String it with 11's. The 24" scale requires heavier strings.
    Check the nut and the saddles, the grooves on the japan saddles can be quite finicky

14. 909one

909one Member

What they said above...
    Take it to a tech. When its all fixed up, you'll love it.
    If you don't, you can resell it on eBay and at least make what you've put into it... I've seen MIJ Jags go for close to $700 sometimes.

I personally rewired my whole Jag, I never heard what it sounded like beforehand since I bought it in a state of disrepair. But, it sounds good now.
    Btw, you can find AVRI pickups on eBay for really cheap, like between $35-$40 dollars. They sound worlds better than the Japanese pickups.

15. mcboyle

mcboyle Member

thanks so much guys! this all helps a lot.

16. mcboyle

mcboyle Member

could you possibly send me a link to that ebay page? cant seem to find it