1981 DRV vs Jam Pedals Rattler

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SamAkers, Feb 13, 2020.

1981 DRV vs Jam Pedals Rattler

1. 1981 DRV

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Jam Pedals Rattler

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. SamAkers

SamAkers Member

Hello gents. I searched the forums and couldn't find any in depth comparison of these two pedals. Im about to jump down the rat rabbit hole because I have been long growing discontent with my early Fulltone OCD. I'm not in love with the low end on the OCD and I want a pedal that's ballsy but has a far more effective tone circuit.

The question is, with my rig (Strat, into fender, with FF, TS, Klon, BD-2 etc) which would compliment the ballsy mid to high gain stuff? If it does low to mid that works too. Also, I'm not in love with the low end on the OCD and I want a pedal that's got punch but not mud and has a far more effective tone circuit.

Either way, what are your experiences? Thank you guys.

2. GeorgeTheBarbarian

GeorgeTheBarbarian Member

Why are you looking specifically at these pedals? There are many many other options for mid to high gain.
    From your pick it seems you are interested in RAT clones. Even narrowing down to this there are many other options that are worth your consideration.

Just trying to understand a bit better what you are looking for.

3. flatulentmatt

flatulentmatt Member

Do you stack? Looking at your rig, you have a few stacking options there; Rattler is closer to a stock (good version) Rat with some tweakability, and I think the Rat stacks better than the 1981 with Klon circuits especially. That's partly because the 1981 already has a front end preamp as part of the circuit. If you're planning on using it standalone, the 1981 could be the better option for your tastes: bit more refined, with a tighter low end (your complaint about the OCD).

reprove likes this.
  4. reprove

reprove Member

I wish I had experience with the Rattler. One of those pedals that’s on the someday-it-will-be-mine list. I do have and love my DRV. I use it mostly for low gain as a always on boost and use a Hoof for high gain. The DRV’s eq curve really tightens the Hoof up and provides a ton of clarity and note definition. i find the same behavior when it’s own gain is up and cranking through and amp. It’s pretty refined for a Rat. Doesn’t really get ragged like my old Rat2. Hope this helps.

5. SamAkers

SamAkers Member

Great question George the Barbarian. I'm looking at rats and rat-a-likes specifically cuz I'm realizing what I love is pedals with midrange to cut through. The midrange hump around 1-1.5k is perfect for the music I play. Thats a large part of why I'm moving away from the the ol OCD. Did that answer well? Would you suggest any other midrange focused pedals?

With that in mind, flatulentmatt, I do stack. A lot. For instance I never use the FF without the Klon. I also frequently use the OCD > TS to get some really sweet drive. Would Rattler work well has a pedal before the TS for a great rock sound that I can goose after with the TS and then the Klon? I also would theoretically put a boost behind it.

I didn't know about the charge pump in the DRV. That sounds attractive to me. You mentioned though that it might not play well with the pump in the Klon. Is that typically the case?

Thanks gents.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  6. SamAkers

SamAkers Member