1981 Gibson Flying V Candy Apple Red

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by Jet Bycraft, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

I sold my 1981 Candy Apple Red Gibson Flying V to Real Guitars in San Francisco California in 1993 or 1994 (I can’t remember which year). The serial number is 81951005. The bridge pick-up was a black Seymour Duncan JB-SH4 and the neck pick-up was stock. The guitar itself shows signs of heavy use with the paint worn off where my right arm used to rub on the body. The rest of the body is pretty beat-up. The tuning pegs were Grovers, and I (think) that I included the original bridge pick-up and tuning pegs with the sale. The case had stickers all over it.

If anyone out there has this instrument please reply to this thread with some photo’s showing the guitar, the case, and the serial number on the backside of the headstock. I would really like to get this guitar back!

PLEASE! DOES SOMEONE OUT THERE HAVE MY GUITAR!

2. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

HOW MUCH ARE YOU WILLING TO PAY $$$

scotticus and 27sauce like this.
  3. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Lol....sounds like a hostage-situation. :D

4. V-man

V-man Supporting Member

Fair question. Granted, the OP can’t know what has befallen it in its quarter-century of absence, but even a thrashed 2nd Reissue can’t be found for under $2k. Assuming no further issues/minimal mods or wear and you’re in the $2,500-$3,500 market. The real clincher is the color. No production numbers for 1980-2 on the last 2nd reissues, but the cool colors didn’t happen until the end. For somebody in the market for a factory red 2nd RI, it would be possible that another $500-$1,000 could be added and that is conservative AF.

So to the average collector, you are at $2k for anything above a botched Floyd job, ranging all the way up to maybe $5k, averaging $3k-$3,500. I don’t know what premium you’d attach to the sentimental value but that may factor in also. 2nd RIs are my favorite Vs. Good luck.

27sauce and AXEnGEAR4J like this.
  5. Rumble

Rumble Instrumental Rocker Silver Supporting Member

"The old, the one that got away thread..."

[​IMG]

6. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

I don't think the op's V was a reissue
    reissue.

7. bigsby'd

bigsby'd Member

Given that its Candy Apple Red, it's not a heritage reissue. The OP's era Flying V is sub $2k all day long right now.

8. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

It’s been a while since they were regularly that cheap.

If clean, I’d say 3500-4500 for black
    Rough/average, 2400ish.

Now, Candy Apple Red would sell for more than a Heritage Reissue. These were part of a limited run in '81. I'd say $6k in good condition.
    I think they made 25 of each of these colors.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 7:54 PM
  9. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

It looked like the one in the middle in the picture above, although it could have been the one on the far left. I knew there was something special about it because it was on display in a glass case at Bizarre Guitars in Reno NV. I think I originally paid $800.00 for it. I was 22 years old when I made the purchase back in 1982. I had only been playing for four or five years. It's all good, I now have a Gold Gibson Flying V #39 of 50 made in the mid-nineties that I bought new from G.C. The neck on the 81 sure was nice though. I basically learned how to play on that guitar. The photo below is when we opened up for The Guess Who and BTO back in 1988 IIRC.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 9:25 PM
    Cow_Punk, nichd, WordMan and 2 others like this.
  10. 27sauce

The far left red is almost a fiesta red, no metallic.

I’ve seen a few candy Apple red, and the Bahama blue. I’ve never seen the other red or silver. So cool.

11. WordMan

WordMan Member

Good luck with your quest. Always hard when one gets away.

12. scotticus

scotticus Member

Silver? Looks gold to me.

13. 27sauce

Yeah, could be a combo of a bad pic and the clear coat turning.
    Here's another bad pic of one
    [​IMG]

14. scotticus

scotticus Member

You’re probably right, didn’t think about the clear yellowing. I remember falling in love with an early 80s gold V I saw at a guitar show a few years back, but looking up pics of it, it didn’t have the matching headstock like the other picture you posted. I think you’re right about the silver.

27sauce likes this.
  15. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

Just want to thank everyone for all of your thoughts and info. Below is a photo of two of my Flying V's. The one on the right is my Gibson (#39 of 50), the one on the left is my USA Hamer (#06 of 72 made in 1996). My Hamer is the finest guitar I have ever owned/played. There is a Sweet Spot at every fret up and down the neck. When I play a G at the 8th fret on the B string, it produces an upper harmonic tone that is simply divine. I appropriately named her "Angel."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 4:33 PM
    Sloop John B likes this.