1981 Gibson les paul custom goldburst value?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by daveanto21, Feb 23, 2012.

1. daveanto21

daveanto21 Supporting Member

I am looking at buying a 1981 gibson les paul custom in the supposedly super rare goldburst finish. It has some wear but not totally screwed like the paint on these things were known for. I have read there were like 50 made and a lot came back under warranty for finish problems and were painted with a different paint. I saw a couple on ebay, one was just under 5k and the other was like $3500, neither sold. I saw one that was worn pretty bad and the finish on the neck was stripped off and grunhs apprasied it at $2k at the end of 2010. What would you pay? All original.

2. b2sc

b2sc Member

I've alsways liked that finish but they don't always age that well. These used to be priced no different than regular black '80s Customs One lone dealer (the one on eBay asking $5k) is claiming these are high collectables and everyone is riding that wave.

I kick myself for not buying 2 or 3 at $1300 when i had the opportunity.

3. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

4. Hwy14

Hwy14 Member

I remember seeing one of those at the Guitar show they used to have on Woodward avenue in Ferndale, or one of those towns near Detroit. Anyhoo, it was something of an oddity, but in a beautiful way. Not that I've been looking, but I've seen a shiton of guitars in my day, and I've never casually stumble upon another. I would think they are pretty durn rare...