1981 Guild S300

DrumBob

Gold Supporting Member
Gary, as you may know, I worked for Guild at the time the S series guitars were on the market, and it's true that not one well known guitarist played them. Part of my job was artist endorsements, and I had zero luck convincing anyone, from Neal Schon, to John Hammond, to Albert Collins, to any number of local players, to endorse these things. The turnoff was the appearance of the instrument itself. Everyone thought they played great; they just hated the looks. Did you know that Guild copied the S series guitars from another guitar made in Germany by the Hoyer company? I finally saw a photo of it a couple years ago. It was obviously a near-direct lift on Guild's part.

GAD

Wubbalubbadubdub
Silver Supporting Member
Here's the Hoyer:

I like the Guild better. :)

I remember you telling me a story about Neil Schon and how he refused to even play an S300 because he thought it was so ugly. Hey, at least they don't cost $10k on the used market now! :)

AlamoJoe

Gotta say GAD. I read the whole review and was as impressed with your writing as I was made curious about the guitar!

GAD

Wubbalubbadubdub
Silver Supporting Member
Gotta say GAD. I read the whole review and was as impressed with your writing as I was made curious about the guitar!
Thanks! I've got a pile more just like it if you'd like to learn more about Guild Electrics: gadsguilds.com

Here's the Hoyer:

I remember you telling me a story about Neil Schon and how he refused to even play an S300 because he thought it was so ugly. Hey, at least they don't cost $10k on the used market now! :)
That Hoyer is also awesome looking.

There is a used musical instrument store no more than an eighth of a mile from me. I have seen Hoyers and Guilds in there. But I only visit the store when I need new strings. There are too many temptations. If I went in and found an S300 or that Hoyer I would want them.

Arewenotmen?

Gary, as you may know, I worked for Guild at the time the S series guitars were on the market, and it's true that not one well known guitarist played them. Part of my job was artist endorsements, and I had zero luck convincing anyone, from Neal Schon, to John Hammond, to Albert Collins, to any number of local players, to endorse these things. The turnoff was the appearance of the instrument itself. Everyone thought they played great; they just hated the looks. Did you know that Guild copied the S series guitars from another guitar made in Germany by the Hoyer company? I finally saw a photo of it a couple years ago. It was obviously a near-direct lift on Guild's part.
Bummer. I always thought they looked cool!

swiveltung

Here's the Hoyer:

Doesn't look anything near a "direct lift" to me. Far less similarity than most all single cuts out there to a LP. The tailpiece even looks to be 5-6" different location. Yeah it has 4 knobs.

Peteyforto

My parents got my brother one of those for his high school graduation in 81. I learned how to play guitar on that thing through a battery powered little amp call the Guild Tweedy Bird.

sidekick

Supporting Member
OP ... The important thing is that you love it ... I too, think your guitar looks pretty cool and (I would think) is both a great and (now) rather an individual guitar.

My avatar pic shows an '04 JG Bluesmaster Pro model, which, (although a limited availability guitar) became not what the USA buying public wanted when compared to the JG Bluesmaster '59 Custom with the typical 'Les Paul' appointments'....Despite that the JG BM Pro has all the same woods/hardware, (excepting the LP pickup configuration & binding).

Such is the 'general' buying public ... o_O

TomDev

A Guild S-60 was one of my first real guitars, too, and I'd love to have another. Saw one on Ebay recently and it was a sorry specimen. I love these S-series instruments and it looks like the one you got is in great shape.

Hush

I had a Guild S-100 that I wish I never traded in, but I never liked the looks of the S-300. I bet it plays and sounds great though.

Trending Topics