1982 Fender Telecaster Disassembly

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mr.Chainsaw, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Mr.Chainsaw

Mr.Chainsaw Member

Hi!

I've got a Fender Telecaster '52 Reissue from 1982.
    I'm a bit uncertain of the true identity so I'm going to screw the neck of to check for all the stamps and other markings to make sure it's what it is put out to be.

As it's the love of my life and cost me nearly $2000 (I know, not the most expensive guitar in the world, but for an 18 year old kid it's quite a lot of cash) I don't want to mess it up in any way.

So anything I should be really careful with while disassembling it? I'm no retard when it comes to guitar building and stuff, I've put together plenty of guitars in my days, but as it's my true love I REALLY don't want to mess anything up.

If the guitar is really from 1982, it is its 30th birthday this year so yeah, special year for the guitar!

So please, advice! I'm going to take pictures and stuff and maybe post them here in future.

Thanks!

2. Butterscotch

Butterscotch Member

Take the pickguard off before pulling the neck, just in case it's a tight fit to the neck.
    Otherwise, straightforward! Lets see some pics!

3. Mr.Chainsaw

Mr.Chainsaw Member

I'm done!

What is the best way for sharing pictures on here?
    I remember trying some kind of image database to upload my pictures to, but it didn't work!

4. superrock

superrock Silver Supporting Member

use photobucket and copy the img code and paste in your reply... easy as pie...

5. superrock

6. Mr.Chainsaw

Mr.Chainsaw Member

Haha! I assure you, I'll get the pics uploaded!
    Just looking at all of them atm!

7. Mr.Chainsaw

Mr.Chainsaw Member

8. superrock

:drink[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    for the lazy like me to get a peek... lol...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  9. Mr.Chainsaw

Mr.Chainsaw Member

10. superrock

:munchlove it, by the way... she looks killer, and i am certain plays and sounds the same! the experts will be coming to bear on the deets momentarily no doubt...

11. Mr.Chainsaw

Mr.Chainsaw Member

Thanks!
    Apparently it's been on tour with some crappy Danish band, so that would explain the extensive wear.

Bought it for about $1800 last year.
    Probably expensive compared to what they cost in America, but here in Sweden they cost quite a bit, so I reckon the price was pretty reasonable!

12. vanguard

vanguard Member

beautiful wear; looks like the real thing! bummer about that bucker route; didn't leave much wood for the heel of the neck to rest against. looks like that switch's been rewired a million times!

again, though, that natural wear is gorgeous. and i actually think reversed-mods and the like give a guitar a lot of character.

13. Mr.Chainsaw

Mr.Chainsaw Member

Nice to hear your views!

As none of the pickups seem to be original and due to bad volume matching, I'm considering installing a '72 Reissue Humbucker in the neck position. I know they aren't built the same way as the old Fender humbuckers, but I think it would be nice with humbucker!

14. rockitcity

rockitcity Member

Interesting. Lots of corrosion and rust on some of the metal parts. Has it lived near the sea? Looks older than an '82, and certainly not anything special from a vintage standpoint, but it seems to have history with you, so that's what is important.

Probably doesn't matter, but I'd replace those slotted neck screws with some proper Phillips type. Just would look better IMHO.

How are those jumbo frets? Looks like they might need some edge dressing, but it might just be the pictures...

15. Sloop John B

Sloop John B Supporting Member

For comparison's sake, here's my '82 Fullerton:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Looks nice, Mr.Chainsaw. Really though, what else would I say to a fellow who calls himself Mr. Chainsaw? :)

Btw, Herb Gastelum started at Fender in the early 1960s. He is known for his exceptional work on Fender necks. The "Summer 1998" edition of Fender Frontline contained a small feature on Herb's career with the company.

17. Mr.Chainsaw

Mr.Chainsaw Member

Might have lived near the sea, but it's also been used on tour, and sweaty hands palm muting would probably help with the rust!

The frets are great! Pretty worn but works fine. I use pretty thick Ernie Ball strings and the feel of the neck combined with fat strings is great!

I read somewhere that philips screws were introduced much later than the flat heads, so I'll keep it true to the 50's style with regular slotted ones!

18. Mr.Chainsaw

Mr.Chainsaw Member

Looking good! That's the condition they usually are in, at least the ones I've managed to find online!

19. Mr.Chainsaw

Mr.Chainsaw Member

Haha! I'm not really a scary bloke! Mr.Chainsaw is a song by Alkaline Trio, not the best song in the world, but still!

Really appreciate the info on Herb Gastelum! Great to know who made the neck WHICH I LOVE beyond most stuff!
    Do you know if there's any info about him online?

20. Mr.Chainsaw

Mr.Chainsaw Member

Here's the guitar in action!
    No, not headbanging! Just looking stupid!
    [​IMG]