1984 Fender D'Aquisto Elite...swapping out the original pickup

timquinn

I have a beautiful 1984 Fender D'Aqusito Elite. The original Schaller pickup is nice, but a little on the brittle and thin side of the sonic spectrum. The original pickup is of unusual dimensions, and it has the oddball 3 mounting screws. I would like to try a Benedetto B6 pickup in it, which has a normal mount and size. Has anyone had any experience, or any suggestions, as to how I could proceed without changing the hole or pickguard?

lemonpaul59

I have a beautiful 1984 Fender D'Aqusito Elite. The original Schaller pickup is nice, but a little on the brittle and thin side of the sonic spectrum. The original pickup is of unusual dimensions, and it has the oddball 3 mounting screws. I would like to try a Benedetto B6 pickup in it, which has a normal mount and size. Has anyone had any experience, or any suggestions, as to how I could proceed without changing the hole or pickguard?

Obviously you want to keep the body as stock as possible. I'd send that pickup off to a pickup maker, perhaps someone like Mick at Manlius could rewind it to your liking.

http://www.manliusguitar.com/

drive-south

That's a gorgeous guitar. I believe James D'Aquisto was in CA working with Fender when he died way too young.

Studio zOaR

These are indeed fantastic guitars. I have a natural Elite and a black Standard. I didn't like the sound of the Schaller pickups at first, especially when compared to the Strats and Teles that i usually play, but found that by adjusting the pickup heights (usually lowering them) and then changing my amp away from my go-to settings, I was able to get beautifully rich tones. The Schallers are wider range than what we're used to hearing, more "hi-fi", this may translate to thin and bright.

timquinn

These are indeed fantastic guitars. I have a natural Elite and a black Standard. I didn't like the sound of the Schaller pickups at first, especially when compared to the Strats and Teles that i usually play, but found that by adjusting the pickup heights (usually lowering them) and then changing my amp away from my go-to settings, I was able to get beautifully rich tones. The Schallers are wider range than what we're used to hearing, more "hi-fi", this may translate to thin and bright.
That is very much appreciated. I understand what you are saying. This is a recently acquired guitar for me, so I am adjusting to it/getting to know it. I will try your suggestions.

Trending Topics