1984 Gibson SG Standard - Polaris White - Rectangle Inlays. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AllmanFan, Mar 3, 2012.

1. AllmanFan

AllmanFan Silver Supporting Member

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Court,

I provide for your consideration an interogative regarding a 1984 Gibson SG Standard, Serial # 80554542, in polaris white with rectangle inlays. The seller, a friendly fellow TGP member, is appearing to give me one hell of a deal at $1700 :eeks.

Is this a good deal? It seems to me like it's an awesome deal and the guy is a generous dude who just wants to thin the herd and make room for some more important and connected pieces. Below is a pic.

He also provided me with some references of previous buyers who seem legit.

Now...Your thoughts. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lemonhand

Lemonhand Member

Pics aren't showing up.

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

4. AllmanFan

AllmanFan Silver Supporting Member

Well...I wish the pics would show up. Regardless, some more info on the guitar. I am more interested in the uniqueness of the rectangle inlays vs. the trapezoid inlays. In addition, the pickup selector is above the volume/tone knobs and the input jack is on the bottom side of the guitar instead of on the top where most are located. This in my mind, at least, seems unique.

The owner has also just had a refret done by a local luthier as well as a nut replacement. The pickups were also swapped for Lollar imperials High Winds and the cavities were shielded.

Now...I know enough about guitars to know a general idea what a guitar is worth but this one has me stumped. Many upgrades and with the neck and the input jack/pickup selector placement, I don't know where to look. Hence my questions for the board.

5. racecar

racecar Supporting Member

I am not a fan of 80's Gibsons... A friend of mine just bought the SG 61 Reissue, very nice guitar for the money. She had to return the first one and get a replacement because the first one was buzzing all over the place , even after being set up. The replacement was much better. I would never spend $1700 on an 80's SG. Just my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  6. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

If it's the one I think it is...special wiring and such...it's well worth it. Limited model from that time, a buddy has one and loves it. I can't think of the model name.
    I have no idea what to search on google.

7. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

I'd take the '84 over a new one anyday of the week. $1700 might be a tad high, but if its mint and comes with an original case you won't lose any money on it. The new ones aren't that good which is why they are so cheap: cheap bridges/hardware, thick low VOC paint that will never age, thick beige plastic binding, multi-piece bodies with oversize pickup routs these days, thin/wide necks...yuck, no thanks.

8. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

I take that back:
    Is it this one??
    http://www.joetheguitarman.com/1980%20SG2.htm

My buddy had one with 3 knobs and a small toggle for phase. It was a stock model.
    The one at $1700, if the one in the pics, is not the a true '62 RI shape. I don't see it being built any more bettger than others.

9. rspencer

rspencer Member

"Upgrades" = non-original.
    Unless the original parts are included (not the frets, obviously), the value is lessened rather than increased, in the long run. Just my opinion.

10. serial

serial Member

At $1700, you're used Historic territory and the Historic SG/LPs are FAR better. I owned an early 80s SG Std with the blocks also in white (a standard catalog color) and was underwhelmed. It actually put me off of SGs for a decade or more. Hated the neck-skinny and narrow and the shape was "wrong" (it also has the ugly heel).
    Get one of these:
    [​IMG]

11. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

12. lovellintn

lovellintn Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Can't see the pics, but all Standards had block inlays, small guard, and side input jacks in 84. I just traded an 83 that was very nice but not mint. Trade value was just under the asking price you've listed. Being that it's a special color and has Lollar's I'd say go with it if it's what you want. Although there is an 83 that's sat on eBay for months at $2k. Great guitars either way. All SG's should have the side input IMHO.

13. serial

serial Member

THIS one. The Historic SG/LP I pictured set me back a whopping $1600. The very next week, one with a vibrola (mine was added by a former CS guy who owns NTL Guitar now) went for $1700. I've seen several since and almost picked up another because I dig mine so much.

Why don't you check out "completed auctions"-ones that actually sell. The only one that sold went for under $2k. People can ask $5k for one-that's not what the actual market is.

14. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

Price is WAY high, IMO. If you're looking at it as vintage, it's not 100% and not nearly as collectible. I'd say $1200 tops, and I personally think even that would be high.

15. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

Just checked, $1989 for a cherry non-vibrola model which is the most common color and rather mundane; if it were alpine white it would have been sold 15-20% higher

16. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Member

Totally agree.It's a cool guitar,and I have had many chances to play them,and I own and love a Norlin LP deluxe,and I love SGs,but $1700 buys alot of guitar these days.When standards go for $750 on craigslist....ya know?

17. FFTT

FFTT Member

An '84 with Custom Shop sticker on the back of the neck,
    should have Shaw PAF's if the guitar is all original.

18. bosage86

bosage86 Member

Pics aren't showing up.