1984 Strat - a rare gem from Fender's darkest days?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Deville2Rocket, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

I recently acquired a 1984 MIA Strat. Now those who know their Fender history know this was the last year CBS owned Fender. For whatever reason, they really destroyed the Strat this particular year, radically changing its appearance and appointments. I'm getting most of my info here from strat-central.com, so bear with me... They had 2 knobs, and the input jack was on the pick-guard. Some in 83 and 84 even had buttons, instead of a pickup selector switch. They also had some pretty wacky colors. During this transitional period of 84-85, it seems most Strats were made in Japan. Well, mine is American made, string through bridge, has all of the normal appointments and knobs (1 volume, 2 tone), isn't a crazy color (mine is white), and has the input jack on the body (where it should be). Here's where mine gets fun: It has the Freeflyte Bridge (Typical for the day), and has a DBX tone control. Can anybody tell me if I've got a rare Gem from the last days of CBS? S/N:E427158

scr@tchy likes this.
  2. furry

furry Senior Member

sorry mate, you've got shite.

it will probably appreciate with the rate of inflation--if you're lucky.

not a desirable Strat by any measure.

3. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

lol thanks. was afraid of that. well, it sounds great, plays great, and it'll be a fun conversation piece. :D

scr@tchy likes this.
  4. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

If it sounds great and plays great, I'd say you have a great Strat. Enjoy, and it does have the advantage of being a piece of Fender history. There is no way in the world I would label your guitar 'shite'.

5. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Does it have the 10- or 12-inch radius flat/wide neck? That was one of the good features in the mid-80s. I've had the push-button [Strat Elite] and a few of the two-knobbers. All were pretty good: on-the-whole better than what had come before during the '70s.

[green/gold ones were cool]
    [​IMG]

mbetter, scr@tchy, theon and 2 others like this.
  6. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

wow! That green gold thing is weird and sexy all at the same time!

7. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

You need to explore lifting out that bridge, and replacing it for now with a decent one.

You can make that guitar into a player; if you get tired of it someday, you can give the purchaser his choice as to which bridge he'd like to use.

I could be mistaken but I think there's some that require no modifications.

8. John C

John C Supporting Member

Pictures?

Also FreeFlyte briges weren't string through they were top loading (unless that's what you mean by "string through bridge"). Is it 21 or 22 frets?

Here's the Fender timeline for Strats from back in that era:

1982 - year of the "Smith Strats" where they went back to the 4-bolt neck and started really paying attention to the body contours again. Also the year of the introduction of the '57 and '62 reissue models.

1983 - "Smith Strat" and "The Strat" discontinued. 2-knob "Standard Strat" and the "Elite Strat" (the model with pushbuttons as shown in Baxtercat's photo) introduced. '57 and '62 reissues continue.

1984 - No changes; "Standard Strat" adds swirled finishes (actually done by the guy who would do the Ibanez Jem swirls later in the 1980s).

1985 - USA production stops; company sold by CBS to current ownership (FMIC) circa April. By June the Japanese contemporary and reissue models were introduced. Only intellectual property sold to FMIC; CBS closes and sells of factory piecemeal. FMIC intends to only import guitars sourced from Japan and other parts of the world.

1986 - FMIC has a change of heart and builds factory in Corona CA. Reissue production starts circa May/June. New models called American Standards begin to be produced circa October.

1987 - American Stanadards introduced at January NAMM show. Strat Plus model introduced circa June.

Now the reason why I spell out the timeline is this - among the stuff FMIC obtained from CBS was a stack of unused headstock decals with "E4XXXXX" serial numbers. Most of the 1983-84 CBS/Fener guitars had "E3XXXXX" serial numbers. FMIC used up those "E4XXXXX" decals on the first of the American Standards - these decals were used from October 1986 on into early 1988 (January, maybe as late as February or March) when the E4 decals were used up and FMIC started using the "E8XXXXX" decals.

Again, we need photos to see what you've got. Some people converted their 1983/84 2-knob Strats to "regular spec" by routing the body for the traditional jack plate and installing the second tone control. CBS/Fender didn't use the TBX tone control on the 2-knob models but they did use them on the Elite models. However, FMIC used the TBX on the American Standards from their introduction in 1986 through about 1997 or so.

Fofo, Jimi D, scr@tchy and 1 other person like this.
  9. Southern ILL

Southern ILL Member

Pics. would make things easier.

Pedal Dan, Starshine and songtalk like this.
  10. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

The 2 knobber strats are worth around $800 in excellent original condition. They are actually excellent guitars stock. The Freeflyte trem is fine if you know how to set one up (which nobody does).

11. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

This was my first question too... Never saw a freeflyte that allowed strings to go through the body, although I've never seen one with a freeflyte and the standard 3 knob/ 5 way switch either... some pics would help... maybe someone modified an old 2 knobber? I have an 83, in basic black with single ply white, freeflyte bridge (no tremolo cover on the back) and the 2 knob controls... While its a bit heavy, it's always been a great sounding and playing strat... My dad bought it for me in 1983 for Christmas and it was my very first electric. I still have it today, and its still in great shape... Probably never be worth a fortune, but it's priceless to me!

12. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

13. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

So if a guy got a last year CBS Strat would he have a pre Fender Fender?

EtaCarinae, gerg6 and Nathan Carrille like this.
  14. brad347

brad347 Member

what you have is probably not an '84 but rather an '86 or '87 American Standard. Those mostly had '84 serial numbers.

One way to tell is to pull the pickguard. If it has the "hog rout" or "swimming pool" underneath the pickguard instead of three individual routs for the pickups, it's probably a mid-late 80s American Standard. I believe the Am Standards were the first to use the swimming pool.

Starshine likes this.
  15. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

My 87 has an E3 serial number.

16. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

That's what they said about 70's Strats...until I sold mine, then they skyrocketed! You never truly know what will become "desirable" in the vintage market.

Tony

17. buchla300

buchla300 Member

I'd take an 80's fender over a "collectible" late 70's one anyday.

Pedal Dan and Go Cat Go!! like this.
  18. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Pix would help.

19. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

thanks u guys. good info on the serial number issue. looks like mine might be one of the first American Standards out of Corona. did they put American Standard on the headstock? mine only says made in the usa.the bridge is string-through, not top loading. sorry for the confusion. it's the meatier looking 80's bridge. guess it's not a Freeflyte after all.I'll post a pic tonight after work. Based on what Big White Tele said, mine might be an 87 or 88.

Pedal Dan likes this.