1985 Les Paul '59 Heritage Reissue, any good?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Clorenzo, May 23, 2006.

1. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

2. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

I thought they were a couple of years earlier, like about 82, but maybe i'm wrong. A friend of mine had one since new, and finally sold it to get a Guitar Clinic Burst, which was far superior. The neck profile was far slimmer than a real 59's, and the overall feel wasn't as good as the Historic LP's. He also wasn't thrilled with the pups, and was always fooling around with them to try and get a better tone.

3. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Many thanks for the info! BTW, have you noticed that weird thing at the top of the headstock in the second picture, where it looks as if the black paint doesn't cover the whole thing? Is that normal? :confused:

4. WordMan

WordMan Member

Check out the front page of the Les Paul Forum. Highly respected LPF member Mike Slubowski has an article on the "pre-Historic Historics" which should include the guitar you are looking into...you can click on the article from the LPF front page...

5. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

Is that a reflection of the pink case lining?

6. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

The neck profile wasn't right. Maybe that's not an issue for you if you don't like really clubby necks. I don't think they had the proper neck tenon either - probably the biggest consideration for me.

peace,

jb

7. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Oops, I think you're right :jo

8. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Actually I do like them and one of the reasons this one caught my attention was that I thought it would have a nice chunky '59 profile. Thanks WordMan for the Slubowski reference which seems to confirm this (he says the neck were variable but of a "medium" thickness). I think I'll pass then.

9. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Gibson was making Les Pauls with significant 50s style features in limited edition runs for certain dealers from at least circa '79 through the Norlin divestiture.As far as whether they could be called '59 reissues I'll leave it to others to argue about.I know of at least two major dealers that had them, neither of which got much mention in the previously mentioned article.I worked for these stores.

Specifically Veneman Music in the MD/DC/Nova area and their mail order division Music Emporium sold them from the late 70s through at least '84 or so at various times.Likewise Cintioli Music in Philadelphia ordered and sold custom run Les Pauls with significant 50s features both before and after Henry Jerkowicz and company took over and promptly fired evryone who knew what they were doing.(editorial comment is intentional).I think its apparent that other dealers as well sold similar guitars.

10. Intelligentpony

Intelligentpony Member

I had a Heritage 80 Elite which was an earlier but not right attempt at a re-issue. It was a great sounding and playing guitar with a medium sized neck. If this one is the same caliber as mine I recommend it.

The first re-issues were made for Guitar Trader, Leo's Music, Strings and Things and I think Jimmy Wallace.

11. makotvjr

makotvjr Member

I have one its great, the closer thing to a real 59, up until that time, newer ones are closer, these have been selling around 32-35 depending on flame and color. The Shaw Pups sound great BTW

12. makotvjr

makotvjr Member

BTW none of these earlier RIs were considered RIs! the Wallace and Guitar traders,etc are VERY nice and VERY expensive. The blue book of guitars I have says 1985 59(prehsitoric) Flametop reissue: Only year made! although I believe I have senn some that crept into 1986 that were similar. The85 is regarded as Gibsons firstOFFICIAL ATTEMPT AT A RI! inked on serial,etc. again WONDEREFUL! my Shaw Pups sound very warm and amazing I A-B the sound against my 2 other 59s, I think it ties for first with my 01.The red along the edge is a bit much(not very faded) Ive been leaving it in the sun a bit, starting to fade a little.