1985 Tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by _arvin, Jan 23, 2012.

1. _arvin

_arvin Guest

Just got offered a 1985 telecaster in a potential trade deal, which would have been great except it is an HSS, Floyd Rose, no pickguard, weird toggle switches instead of a 3-way pickup blade model. What kind of drugs were the Fender people smoking in 1985? Just saying.

2. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

Sounds like my dream guitar! :omg

3. midwayfair

midwayfair Member

Hey, except for the H and the Floyd, I just built one like that!

4. magilla

magilla Chasing those soulful sounds. Silver Supporting Member

Sometimes you hit it, sometimes you don't.

5. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

In 1985 I am sure it was a great idea.

6. John C

John C Supporting Member

Times were quite a bit different in 1985 than they are today.

By 1985 CBS was ready to pull the plug on Fender; in fact they sold the company to the management team they had put in place to try to turn the company around. CBS's factory in Fullerton, CA wasn't part of the deal, although the new owners did buy some of the machinery in a separate purchase. This happened in February 1985. FMIC, the new ownership of Fender, didn't get their new USA factory up and running until the fall of 1985.

In the interim, FMIC contracted with Japanese manufacturers to build what they termed "Contemporary" models. One of the reasons why CBS was ready to dump Fender was that Kramer and Charvel/Jackson were ruling the marketplace. These Contemporary models were developed to compete with the Kramers and Charvel/Jacksons of the world. Also don't forget that CBS/Fender had made some serious changes to the Strat and Tele with both their cost-cutting "Standard" models and their up-market Elite models that were out in 1983/84. Of course CBS was playing both sides as they had introduced the '52 Reissue Tele (and the Strats and Basses) for those who preferred the original models.

7. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Nice guitars, but its probably a System I trem rather than a FR and parts can be a problem.