1986, JTM50, Early Spec 1959 or JTM45/100..........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bluesful, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Hi All,

I'm considering a new vintage Marshall style and I'm looking for a little guidance from those who have some experience playing these circuits.

I'd love a Germino, but with my currency, shipping etc.....those are out of reach, thus I'm looking at Ceriatone here.

I already have a Bluesbreaker RI, so I'm looking for something a little different, but there's a ballpark tone that I like, which is leading me in the JTM45/100 direction.

Specifically, the tone in this clip (from about 4:12 to 4:14) is what I love:

I know that's only a couple of seconds as a key reference, but the whole tune in general is what I'm shooting for. Those 2 seconds though have this creamy midrange and an almost bell-like top end that I love. The top end seems smooth, not harsh and aggressive which one may associate with later Plexis. I understand that the clip above is actually a JTM45/100, thus why I'm leaning that way.

The '67 voicing described on this Ceriatone page also has me interested:

http://www.ceriatone.com/british-style-plexi100-super-lead/

How different will that early spec 1959 be to a JTM45/100?

But then there's also the 1986 and JTM50........

Presumably out of all the amps listed in the thread title the JTM50 will have the loosest bottom end given the tube rec?

I'm looking for a full bottom end, but not too loose and flabby.

Guitars that would be used with the amp include Strats, Teles, Les Paul and a 335.

If anyone has any thoughts on this array of amps they would be most appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  2. 71strat

71strat Member

JTM45/100 all day long, everyday. With KT66s

DiPa, pbmw, SimAlex and 7 others like this.
  3. Bluesful

How loose will that amp be compared to the early spec 1959?

71strat likes this.
  4. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

The differences are mainly down to filtering and the bright cap and EL34s on the super lead.

I vote 45/100. I’d like to grab the Ceriatone 45/100 in the future but right now I’m really enjoying Nik’s plexi all access.

5. Bluesful

Not a fan of bright caps.

How will the JTM45/100 compare to the 1985 and JTM50 other than wattage?

6. 71strat

71strat Member

It aint really gonna be loose, though the later 1959 may have a more solid bottom end, I much prefer the sound of the JTM45/100. Also think early Hendrix.

#7026 Marshall JTM45/100 was Hendrix favorite amp, and was one of, if not the first amp he bought when he got money. I believe he bought 2 of them, and 7026 was his favorite, and was the amp he plugged into first, and ran his pedals through.
    He retired if from touring in 1968, and used it extensively in the studio.
    The amp was left to Jimis road manager Eric Barrett, who sold it, and was eventually bought by Rich Dickenson, and is also known as the Dickenson amp.
    The only mods were to the tone stack, which became the default tone stack in 1967 on. Still had KT66s in it.

Stock tone stack is 56k slope resistor and 250pf capacitor combination

Hendrix had his modded to 33k/500pf . One can also have both, and have a switch installed to switch back and forth.

IMHO a JTM45/100 has more balls than a 1959

Red House, DeadLazy, Rossi163 and 3 others like this.
  7. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

I don’t have the answers you seek but am definitely interested in seeing where this thread goes.

I’m expecting an amp to come in tomorrow. Kind of a hot-rodded Plexi deal. It’s a Hoffner Plexi 50 (1987) with a gain mod so the normal/bright input stages are cascading in series instead of parallel, using only one input and a tube rectifier (plus a couple small changes). I wouldn’t have picked an amp like this but the price was right. I will most likely return it to 1987 or 1986 spec at some point, unless I happen to really like it as is. I’m hoping it will curb my Plexi gas for a while. I want a lead spec Marshall, if this amp can nourish that gas, a proper 45/100 will be my next “big” purchase, whenever the heck that may be, for the same reason as you. The tone of all tones. The tone that gave me the bug in the first place. Plus... Jimi!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  8. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I didn’t really get a Cream vibe from Super Basses, or Germino Club 40 (which had the tube/SS rectifier switch). Although the low end will probably be tighter with these.

I haven’t played one, but the 45/100 just seems like the way to go. I believe you can ask Nik to tweak the amp for you if you want something particular

HeavyCream and Bluesful like this.
  9. Bluesful

Are you able to expand on that a little?

Do you mean more mid-range grunt?

That sounds like an interesting amp.

IIRC that Club 40 is essentially a 1986?

I'm a contradiction, because I like the idea of a tighter bottom end, but at the same time want that fullness that you hear on Fresh Cream etc......

56Tweed likes this.
  10. Echoplexi

Yeah, 1986, but I think switched to SS rectifier it leans towards jtm50. That’s how I ran mine usually. For the tighter low end.

I too love the Fresh Cream sound. One of the best ever

BGReed2 and Bluesful like this.
  11. Bluesful

What made you move yours on?

12. De Lane Lea

De Lane Lea Member

I picked one up locally about a year ago, I had it modded slightly (totally reversible)

13. Bluesful

What did you mod?

What are your thoughts on it?

14. louis

louis Member

You mean switched to tube rectifier it becomes a JTM50

15. De Lane Lea

De Lane Lea Member

I wanted it tightened up and to have more mids. The guy I use did a good job with it.

16. Echoplexi

yep! It’s still early here haha

Bluesful, HeavyCream and louis like this.
  17. Echoplexi

Ive asked myself that about many an amp. Certainly not because it didn’t sound good. I think I needed to cover the cost of a custom project I was doing

Bluesful likes this.
  18. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

Oh, I just remembered :idea, I wanted to mention the tremolo thing. It’s seems most often EC had a Tremolo version of the JTM45/100, “Super Tremolo”. I don’t think the Tremolo is all that good and he rarely used it , but FWIU, the Trem circuit has some affect on the amp’s voice. Something to do with the top end iirc? Anyhow, EC seemed to prefer it.

I took the cheap road on my BB and got a JTM45 chassis instead of a true Bluesbreaker with Tremolo to save $50 :jo. It seems dumb now but I was on a real tight budget and he didn’t really use it. Still, now I have to wonder...

Im not saying you should definitely have Trem added if you go with Ceriatone 45/100. I’m not even sure how much of a difference it makes. I would, however, recommend enquiring on what it would cost if you start talking to Nik and/or investigating what/how much tonal impact it has. Maybe someone here has some insight.

19. VICOwner

VICOwner Silver Supporting Member

The jtm45/100 is going to give you the EC tone but they are loose in the bottom end.
    Do you really want a 100 watt or a 50? The JTM50 with a solid state rectifier will tighten up the amp. I have one right now that I just made a plug-in solid state base. It increased the plate voltage to 455 and made the amp come alive. I just ordered a pair of KT88’s to put in it and I think that’s going to be the trick. To put KT88’s in place of EL34’s, the 220k bias feed resistors get changed to 100k. The KT88’s have a really nice full bottom end and maintain most of the EL34’s tone everywhere else.

ellis dee, RAG7890 and Bluesful like this.
  20. Dharmajester

Dharmajester Member

An important consideration with the sound you seek is that amps from that period had significantly lower levels of gain than subsequent models. The sustain and rich harmonic qualities present occur at extremely high volume and your opportunities to enjoy those qualities may prove scarce at this point in time. That said JTM 45/100 is certainly the sound although it is possible to achieve with later Marshalls provided the power tubes are cooking and you back off the guitar volume to tame pre amp gain. Also I'd recommend avoiding modern higher power speakers in favour of a quad or two of greenbacks ( or H30's ).

BGReed2 and Bluesful like this.