1986, JTM50, Early Spec 1959 or JTM45/100..........

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Yep, pretty much nailed one.

Everyone goes nuts over a certain Scandinavian's YT Clips but, IMHO, there are way better ones out there & this one is certainly one of them.

I do appreciate the other's efforts though.

:beer
I'm a really big fan of the scando clips, and he is a really prolific poster. However, he has a style and a sound that isn't my sound. There are a few recently where I really wanted to hear some different tones with certain cab/speaker pairings that perhaps would align a bit better with what I would play.

I do seek out other clips though and always appreciate people posting gems like the one you shared.

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Yeah that clip is awesome.

I don't understand how they can crank that inside a house.

They also switch to some other kind of mic that we can't see. You can hear it swap and the guy is still talking but you can't hear him. There's nothing micing the cab either.
He seemed to be standing out of the path of the beam. I can't see settings, and without seeing the wiring its possible there is an attenuator in play though I didn't hear the loss of high end.

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
I do too…but a Major is a whole different animal. Sounded killer on Tracy’s clip. I hate the zen with my Superbass
Yes a friend of mine who's played another friend's Vintage Major told me it sounded great with pretty much all the Pedals he tried.

We were going to buy that Amp together but we missed out by about a month. Here it is here.........a '71.

You could almost say the Major isn't really a Marshall (like all the others) because it has a Linear OT & different circuit design.

woof*

Yes a friend of mine who's played another friend's Vintage Major told me it sounded great with pretty much all the Pedals he tried.

We were going to buy that Amp together but we missed out by about a month. Here it is here.........a '71.

You could almost say the Major isn't really a Marshall (like all the others) because it has a Linear OT & different circuit design.

Yeah, I had one for a quick minute in the 70’s I didn’t know what to do with it then. I didn’t know what sound I wanted or how to control amps back then.

Ultra GP

Yep, pretty much nailed it.

Everyone goes nuts over a certain Scandinavian's YT Clips but, IMHO, there are way better ones out there & this one is certainly one of them.

I do appreciate the other's efforts though.

Yeah, and not trying to criticize, but I feel like there's a certain characteristic to the sound that's in every one of his videos. Sort of a muddiness to the driven sounds. But I imagine that's down to how it's recorded. No idea if he does any EQ etc afterwards.

Yeah that clip is awesome.

I don't understand how they can crank that inside a house.

They also switch to some other kind of mic that we can't see. You can hear it swap and the guy is still talking but you can't hear him. There's nothing micing the cab either.
It might be one of those little handheld zoom recorders placed somewhere else in the room. They're actually pretty decent for making quick recordings like that.

Here's another 68 SLP clip. George definitely found a great sounding one.

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, and not trying to criticize, but I feel like there's a certain characteristic to the sound that's in every one of his videos. Sort of a muddiness to the driven sounds. But I imagine that's down to how it's recorded. No idea if he does any EQ etc afterwards.

It might be one of those little handheld zoom recorders placed somewhere else in the room. They're actually pretty decent for making quick recordings like that.

Here's another 68 SLP clip. George definitely found a great sounding one.

A couple of fleeting notes here & there reminded me of Bachman Turner Overdrive's Album - Not Fragile.

Great Album.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I do too…but a Major is a whole different animal. Sounded killer on Tracy’s clip. I hate the zen with my Superbass
We know that Alf designed it for Robben Ford when he was having to use BF Fenders, so it's really, really thick in the low-mids to fill in the scooped Fenders.

Thus, why I really like it with a BF Fender style, like my old Vibrolux Reverb:

EXP

Supporting Member
Guys, if you have Instagram, check out the recent clip from Tracy Farmer................ @tracyfarmer_

He has put up a clip of a friend of his @carter_wilkinson2 playing a Marshall Major in to a 112 Cab with an EV.

Great tone with a Zen Drive.................now I understand why you guys like the EV. Sounds awesome with that Amp & his great playing. :aok

Going to take a wild guess that he’s using the Major as a clean pedal platform. At 200 watts RMS @ 620v on the plates that single EV12L would probably not being able to handle the peak wattage at UL (cranked). But I could be wrong..guess it depends which EV12L version, 200 or 300 watt. I’m not an expert or tech for that matter but interested to know if this is viably possible?

My Blankenship Twinplex is 170 watts and peak wattage with a 4x12 is well over 200 watts. If the Marshall Major and BF Showman had a baby it would be the Twinplex. Thankfully I have a Aracom attenuator + Clear Sonic shield to keep the FOH sound guys at bay. Oh yeah and my hearing! No surprise whatsoever I have tinnitus. After playing Super Reverbs and NMV Marshall 100 watters on stage with no plugs since the early 2000’s.

EXP

Supporting Member
Same here. The Zendrive is midheavy and Marshalls inherently have a lot of mids. Too much of a good thing IMO. Also why I don’t like a TS with Marshalls. The Zen has a mid boost though that mates perfectly with a mid-scooped circuit ala BF Fender. I liked the Zendrive with my Super Reverb.

HeavyCream

Silver Supporting Member
I was looking for something & saw this old Clip that I can never find when I want it.

It's killer IMHO............what I'd expect to hear from a '68 SLP, so I thought I'd post it here in case you guys have not heard this one.

Great clip! Very much enjoyed it. I kept looking at the window behind him, waiting for it to blow out :eek:. Lol.

Those old G12H 55’s sound stellar :aok

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
Great clip! Very much enjoyed it. I kept looking at the window behind him, waiting for it to blow out :eek:. Lol.

Those old G12H 55’s sound stellar :aok
Welcome mate.....................yes, I wondered how the Windows would hold up.

I have rattled Windows in my previous home & you reach a point where you think..............hey, I better be careful about the Glass.

That clip, IMHO, just sounds way better than many others............it sounded fuller / more rounded / less ice picky that others.

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
Going to take a wild guess that he’s using the Major as a clean pedal platform. At 200 watts RMS @ 620v on the plates that single EV12L would probably not being able to handle the peak wattage at UL (cranked). But I could be wrong..guess it depends which EV12L version, 200 or 300 watt. I’m not an expert or tech for that matter but interested to know if this is viably possible?

My Blankenship Twinplex is 170 watts and peak wattage with a 4x12 is well over 200 watts. If the Marshall Major and BF Showman had a baby it would be the Twinplex. Thankfully I have a Aracom attenuator + Clear Sonic shield to keep the FOH sound guys at bay. Oh yeah and my hearing! No surprise whatsoever I have tinnitus. After playing Super Reverbs and NMV Marshall 100 watters on stage with no plugs since the early 2000’s.
always loved the LA Sound Design demos with the Twinplex. Seems like an amazing amp!