1986, JTM50, Early Spec 1959 or JTM45/100..........

Butch1970

IMO, the gobs of plate reverb on that track really add to the sound.

I've got a Monterey and Fillmore (JTM 45/100 and early-JMP100). I think the sound that the OP is looking for is somewhere between those 2. They both have a softer sound than the Headroom (JMP100) with less filtering. The Fillmore will definitely ghost when cranked, but I hear this coming through on some of the live Cream recordings.

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Hi All,

I'm considering a new vintage Marshall style and I'm looking for a little guidance from those who have some experience playing these circuits.

I'd love a Germino, but with my currency, shipping etc.....those are out of reach, thus I'm looking at Ceriatone here.

I already have a Bluesbreaker RI, so I'm looking for something a little different, but there's a ballpark tone that I like, which is leading me in the JTM45/100 direction.

Specifically, the tone in this clip (from about 4:12 to 4:14) is what I love:

I know that's only a couple of seconds as a key reference, but the whole tune in general is what I'm shooting for. Those 2 seconds though have this creamy midrange and an almost bell-like top end that I love. The top end seems smooth, not harsh and aggressive which one may associate with later Plexis. I understand that the clip above is actually a JTM45/100, thus why I'm leaning that way.

The '67 voicing described on this Ceriatone page also has me interested:

http://www.ceriatone.com/british-style-plexi100-super-lead/

How different will that early spec 1959 be to a JTM45/100?

But then there's also the 1986 and JTM50........

Presumably out of all the amps listed in the thread title the JTM50 will have the loosest bottom end given the tube rec?

I'm looking for a full bottom end, but not too loose and flabby.

Guitars that would be used with the amp include Strats, Teles, Les Paul and a 335.

If anyone has any thoughts on this array of amps they would be most appreciated.
If it were me, and I've been there (Germino Club 40), I'd absolutely go for EL34's and a GZ34 rectifier with an optional switch for a SS rectifier. To me, that's the best of both worlds for JTM50 and 1986 JMP.

You already have a BBRI, so go EL34 with this one.

Roe

If it were me, and I've been there (Germino Club 40), I'd absolutely go for EL34's and a GZ34 rectifier with an optional switch for a SS rectifier. To me, that's the best of both worlds for JTM50 and 1986 JMP.

Great amp, but not for the woman tone

Anje

Supporting Member
I'm also voting for a 45/100 spec amp + low wattage 20w greenbacks in a good 4x12 for that kind of tone. Don't overlook the importance of speakers & cab (pushed) in the making of this sound.

I've had some '67 Superbass & JTM50, the early Superbass can get close with the right cab/speakers but doesn't really nail that sound IMHO. The JTM50 (tube rectified) is even further away, not the right choice IMHO (much more "mellow" & compressed softer sounding/feeling, with darker rounder tone).
Later '68+ 1986 & 1987 50w or even Superlead are different animals altogether.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Silver Supporting Member
The differences are mainly down to filtering and the bright cap and EL34s on the super lead.

I vote 45/100. I’d like to grab the Ceriatone 45/100 in the future but right now I’m really enjoying Nik’s plexi all access.
Me as well. Read an article somewhere where Clapton ran the bass at 0, and everything else was on 10.. tried this out on a 45/100, and sure enough, that’s the sound:). The bottom end was fine... but ya gotta run it up loud!
And, you gotta use 4 Greenbacks or 2 Scumback M75 65 or 100 watters

Last edited:

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Silver Supporting Member
Isn't the Bluesbreaker a JTM 45 in a 2x12 combo format ?
Yes, but the reissue Marshalls don’t sound like a real one, and they are using 6l6 power tubes. Different animal than the 45/100..
And if you get a 2x12 Bluesbreaker 45 with 2 greenbacks you will blow them up. :eek:Don’t ask me how I know this:rolleyes:

Last edited:

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Silver Supporting Member
Me as well. Read an article somewhere where Clapton ran the bass at 0, and everything else was on 10.. tried this out on a 45/100, and sure enough, that’s the sound:). The bottom end was fine... but ya gotta run it up loud!
And, you gotta use 4 Greenbacks or 2 Scumback M75 65 or 100 watters
I think this setup can work well on a bunch of amps. I'm not sure I gave it any serious testing until recently after resurrecting a blackface bassman.

Bluesful

Supporting Member
I hadn't heard of them.

But anything made in the US/Europe is out of reach given my currency,

I think his amp tone in the live room didn't sound exactly like it does on the final mix. Am I explaining my thoughts correctly? When I'm in the studio and my guitar amp is pretty loud, I hear all the highs, mids and lows with my ears. Going back in the control room after to listen back, it sounds different. Less highs, less woofy lows,, etc.
I know exactly what you mean.

LOL I say you rent out a studio for 2 hours and bring the big guns and crank them up onto a tape machine and see what you get. I'd join you if I wasn't across the pond!
I'd LOVE to spend a day at a studio with each of the amps in the thread title! Given my location though, sourcing one of each would be almost impossible.

agree
I think it would be Very hard to duplicate the sound of the speaker breakup and recording methods at home.
Yes, although 115db helps. Or the suhr IR load w. greenback IR into a plate reverb should work ok
Yeah I'm never going to get exactly this tone because a) I can't play at that volume and b) I don't have those speakers (I prefer alnicos). I'm not looking to nail that tone exactly, more looking for ballpark.

I also like the big cleans you can get.

It's in the mix for sure.

Well that makes me feel a little better. lol. How come?
Don't use it, so may as well get it out of the circuit. But I don't know if that will actually do anything tonally.

Bluesful

Supporting Member
@Roe - do you know what amps Kossoff was using at Isle of Wight?

And Hendrix on the Band of Gypsy live record?

RAG7890

Silver Supporting Member
If I were you I’d call Barry Marie.

do you want me to send you his Mobile No.?

cheers, Rudi.

Trending Topics