1986, JTM50, Early Spec 1959 or JTM45/100..........

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
Where did you manage to find that down here?
.................long story, a distant friend of mine imported it from a UK Recording Studio many years ago. I managed to buy it about 3 or so years ago.

And yes, these amps have many irregularities within the same model. Ken Underwood told me on the Marshall forum that this occurred because four or five different guys were all building them in different locations and basically put them together how each saw fit. It’s really interesting because it was a free for all and it worked out so well. Awesome!
..................we should also note that not all old Marshall Amps sound great. Some sound great & some don't..............much like Vintage Guitars, just because a Guitar is Vintage doesn't make it a great Musical instrument.

:beer

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
Looking like the amp will be finished this week at some point.

As far as tubes, the builder is suggesting Tungsram for V1, a Canadian Amperex in V2 and a Telefunken in V3.

That may change depending on testing I suppose.
Funny, I just put a Tungsram in V1 and a Telefunken in the PI of my amp today.

Exciting that yours will be finished soon!

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
The smooth plate Teles are rumored to be sonic nirvana for the PI in a marshall. That is what Vic put in my JTM45, and its what I have in my JMP50. It also works pretty damn good as the PI in my tweed deluxe as well. :Devil
I'm liking the sound of that.

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
If your dude has a good stash and is willing to spend some time on seeing what works, it can really pay off. There are some general recipes that can work, but a lot of this really comes down to personal preferences just like with speakers. I spent a few hours rolling tubes in my JMP20 tonight after getting it back from servicing. Always a fun experience... I think the kids got sick of hearing the same riffs though.

scotty31

Looking like the amp will be finished this week at some point.

As far as tubes, the builder is suggesting Tungsram for V1, a Canadian Amperex in V2 and a Telefunken in V3.

That may change depending on testing I suppose.
My P45 has just completed too :)

though i hold cautious hope it arrives before christmas.

Got the Ruby & Gold Bogner OS212 ready and waiting for it

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
My P45 has just completed too :)

though i hold cautious hope it arrives before christmas.

Got the Ruby & Gold Bogner OS212 ready and waiting for it
Nice.

Shipping is reallllllly slow at the minute from the US, but because you're on the east coast you may get lucky in terms of timing.

scotty31

Nice.

Shipping is reallllllly slow at the minute from the US, but because you're on the east coast you may get lucky in terms of timing.
it would be ideal given i have 3 weeks off. but i also have painting to do at home :p

I need to save some pennies now. Still keen on a 412 of Alnico Creams.

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
The 504?

What's the verdict?
No, the 504 has all Mullards in it.

I put these ones in my Naylor. It just had fresh power tubes put in this weekend too. Sounds killer with the Tungsram and Telefunken tubes, but a little noisier. I haven’t investigated which is causing that yet. Sounds so good I might not care haha. Clear and exciting sounding.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
No, the 504 has all Mullards in it.

I put these ones in my Naylor. It just had fresh power tubes put in this weekend too. Sounds killer with the Tungsram and Telefunken tubes, but a little noisier. I haven’t investigated which is causing that yet. Sounds so good I might not care haha. Clear and exciting sounding.
Yeah I can happily live with a little noise for a better tone.

TP Parter

An important consideration with the sound you seek is that amps from that period had significantly lower levels of gain than subsequent models. The sustain and rich harmonic qualities present occur at extremely high volume and your opportunities to enjoy those qualities may prove scarce at this point in time... Also I'd recommend avoiding modern higher power speakers in favour of a quad or two of greenbacks ( or H30's ).
I consider the H30's to be low power speakers with a high power vibe. Despite the similar output rating they are far louder, and much bigger and more aggressive (75hz) or thicker (55hz) sounding then Greenbacks. They may be only rated for 30 watts, but it is a much louder 30 watts thanks to their considerably higher efficiency.

Dharmajester

I consider the H30's to be low power speakers with a high power vibe. Despite the similar output rating they are far louder, and much bigger and more aggressive (75hz) or thicker (55hz) sounding then Greenbacks. They may be only rated for 30 watts, but it is a much louder 30 watts thanks to their considerably higher efficiency.
By low power I was referring to the low wattage speakers. Sensitivity is a side issue. Sure the higher efficiency of H's will up their volume but the tonality of the older lower power ( wattage ) speakers is decidedly more vintage in my experience than their higher powered modern equivalents.

Trending Topics