1986 MIJ Fender solid rosewood Tele, collectible?

DEMENTED

Silver Supporting Member
I have the opportunity to buy it or sell it as the owners agent. He bought it new as an investment but I am not sure how much it has appreciated. Is this collectible? What's the going rate on these? I am finding very few examples on the internet. Either way I need to research the value of it. :dunno

gmann

You damn betcha they're collectible! They command prices way higher than what they went for new. If you can get one, get one. Hard to find but not that hard if you're really looking. All the ones I've played played great and sounded really good. They weren't too heavy either.

jonahboo

I had one, bought it in 2000 for 600 buck (perfect condition)
when I sold it, it went for over 2k, I was astounded .... guitar was nice, not that nice though.......sounded meh

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
My 11th edition of the Blue Book says $1900, although I suspect dealers would ask more!

27sauce

I saw a guy carrying one around GC a couple of years back and aught him on the way out, asking whats up with the guitar. He say's "I wanted trade it in on a new USA strat, and they'd only give me $200", being Japanese and all.

It was pretty lean times for me, but I would have made him a fair offer if that'd happened today.

One of my bucket list guitars. According to the serial number, it's 1985. I'd wanted one for years, but when I'd find one, I wouldn't have the bucks., And when I had the money, the Rosewoods were hiding. A couple of years ago, though, right here on the Gear Page, I found her. The pickguard has some scratches, and I put Straplocks on it, but otherwise, it is in excellent. I did buy another pickguard, but I'm not gonna put it on. 2 grand, including the G&G Eric Johnson case I bought. I've watched prices for years--The original run, Made in USA guitars appreciate, but not the Custom shop guitars built later on. But the asking price, at least, on the MIJ guitars, has steadily climbed. Not by a lot, maybe 50-75 bucks per year--but that's fine. I don't break it out, much--Certainly not gonna gig it--But I Wouldn't let it go for less than 2500.00.
Plays and sounds great, too.

DEMENTED

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the replies guys. I think $2500 is the asking price. Keep an eye on the Emporium if you're after one of these....

straycat113

I am even nicer $2 lol. I honestly would buy myself if I were you! Especially since they are not easy to come by and it's association with Harrison. I think the last guitar the CS made Mayer before he left the building was the all Rosewood Strat he has been playing.

vortexxxx

At one point, I didn't even know these rosewood re-issues existed because they would hardly ever turn up for sale. The Fender custom shop is doing a run of these but they are pretty expensive.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I don't think that I'd keep it at $2.5k. That's ALL the money for that guitar and I suspect it won't sell really quick unless it's absolutely drop dead mint.

vortexxxx

I don't think that I'd keep it at $2.5k. That's ALL the money for that guitar and I suspect it won't sell really quick unless it's absolutely drop dead mint.
The prices for the Japanese ones went slightly down because Fender started doing custom shop versions of it. Prior to that, you could only get the Japanese ones or the original US made ones that costs quite a bit.

Trending Topics