1987 Lead Boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hackubus, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

Having trouble kicking my 1987xRI up a notch volume wise for lead boost.
    Amp has a PPIMV added, and I've been running the bright channel about 2 o'clock with some of the normal channel added to taste.
    My ODs & boosts just seem to saturate the sound rather than actually give it a percieved volume boost.

A few years back, I had a JTM45RI that I'd boost with a Duncan P'up Booster placed last in the chain that really did the trick. (with the knob as low as it would go!) Not so with the 1987X. The Duncan just adds more gain.

As far as my other ODs go, I've got a Timmy, a Bad Monkey plus a HBE Powerscreamer. Haven't had any luck backing the gain down & upping the volume on any of these. Still just adds more gain. They all just seem to hit the front end harder.
    Thoughts? Am I crazy or just deaf after all these years?:worried

EDIT: Darnit.....forgot to mention I jumper the channels.

2. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

Maybe the amp is just out of headroom.

3. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Yeah, IMO that's a feature, not a bug. Those amps clean up well by backing off the guitar volume, without losing much actual volume, because the output section is at max power already. So kicking in a boost does, in fact, only saturate the tone more, because you're already pushing the power tubes to the limit.
    If you really need an actual volume boost, you'll need a different amp, probably a channel switcher, or you'll need to run your 1987 almost clean, maybe volume on 2, not 2 o'clock, and use pedals for dirt. I know, not my favorite way to get crunch either.

4. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

You are going to have find another solution. You can't put more in the front when it is already cranked and your running against the stopper of the Master Volume. The master volume controls your output and your bright volume is virtually all the way up at 2:00.

It might be possible to use the normal channel as a volume boost by putting a splitter on your effects out and a foot switch on the line to the normal channel then turn it up and when you want a boost add it to the bright channel or better yet switch the channels around use the normal channel as your rhythm channel and the bright as the solo channel then just use an A/B switch. I have done this and gotten a nice volume boost. But I don't run a master volume.

There are lots of options if you are willing to mod the amp because what you really need is two master volumes with a foot switch selector between them. Good luck.

5. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

This is probably just a typo but he really is running the preamp tubes to the limit. He has a master volume on the amp and power tubes are probably no where close to their limits. :AOK

6. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

I figured as much. Was going to retire my DSL in favor of the '87 for a few gigs, but I need my volume boost.
    Modding the amp sounds like more of a PITA than I'd like to deal with at this time.

Thanks for the replies!

7. R.D.

R.D. Member

I've got an 1987x (RI) that Dave Bray modded with the Dual PPIMV ....

It's totally killer and works perfectly !

But, I seem to remember a pedal ( just cant' remember the name ) that you could put in an effects loop and when disengaged it was true bypass, but when engaged it would actually lower the volume .... Kind of a "reverse" solo boost !

Good Luck !

8. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Doh!
    yeah, I missed that. I saw 1987 and pictured it stock, like mine, non-master-volume.

9. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Pushing more volume to a 1987 will only ever add power tube gain.
    It will bring some perceived volume too but not that much.

If you are only practicing in your bedroom and using that vol boost
    it will work just fine but those Marshalls just sing with power tube saturation at gig levels and even small amounts of a volume boost will clip your amp.

One thing I can think of is getting the 100w version 1959.
    For more headroom.

10. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

Nope. It's up against a full band + loud drummer. Not a big deal, just a spare amp I had. Thanks for the replies.