1988 Peavey Stereo Chorus 400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Auriemma, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Auriemma

Auriemma Member

Hi all.

Just picked up a new amp. An SC400. I had a Studio 110 for years as my practice amp, sold it when I decided I would never have the opportunity to play in a band. And what happens? I get invited to play in a band.

I run my PRS CE22 & MC58 into my Boss GT-100. I would run that through a small sound board for practice. Well now the band I'm joining wants me to have an amp. I found a clean 1988 SC400 with footswitch. All works as it should and only cost me $125. (Good deal?)

My musical tastes run from modern country, acoustic rock, classic rock, and some modern rock. No metal.

Should I run it thru the front or thru the preamp IN in back? Also what settings would be best to keep the amp transparent and let my Boss do its thing? FYI, the Boss has an output setting for a JC120, should I use that or leave it in LINE OUT output?

Any other suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

2. cygnusx1

cygnusx1 Member

Dude! I played out of one of those 20 years ago in a band. Great amp for what it is. Still one of my favorite choruses.

3. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

The most neutral sound will be via the power amp in jack on the back. I would try it plugged into the PA and then the power amp in, then the regular instrument input on the front and see what works best.

4. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

I am not familiar with the GT-100 but I would probably try using that direct to the PA.

I haven't used a Peavey Stereo Chorus 400, but I am familiar with the Peavey Stereo Chorus 212. It looks like the effect loops in these amps are similar (if not identical). The stereo effect loop in the Stereo Chorus 212 works well with stereo effects.

If you're going to use the Peavey SC 400 I would definitely suggest using the guitar into the GT-100 into the power amp ins. This would keep the stereo effects of the GT-100.

In my opinion using a stereo effect loop in a stereo combo amp is the best practical way to use stereo effects; using separate amps is fine at home or practice space, but is too much trouble to gig with (others will disagree about this).

(Though I still think taking the time to learn how to make direct to PA work with your GT-100 is probably best)

5. Auriemma

Auriemma Member

The 212 and the 400 are almost identical.

As for the Preamp INs, I'll need some insert Y cables, last I heard. I need to read up on the 4 cable method.

I know how to use my GT-100 with a PA. This new band I'm auditioning with said the PA can only handle the vocals. I was like hell... I can plug my small soundboard into this amp and carry the whole band. That being said, they want me to run my own amp seperate from the PA.

6. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

Yeah, it looks like you're going to have to experiment to see what works best.

I've only used the effects loop as a loop, and never as a simple power amp for a multi effects like your GT-100.

An interesting thing I've found on my SC 212 is that when I turn the chorus on, with both chorus knobs turned all the way counter-clockwise there is still a weird left-right stereo 3D chorusy thing going on but without any "chorus" sound. It makes the guitar stand out a bit and is kinda cool. Putting the amp as near to ear level as possible helps this.

If you already have a handle on using the GT-100 with a PA then trying to use the Peavey the same way is a good place to start.

I think you're going to be impressed with the sound of your GT-100/Peavey combination (if not the weight of the amp). The amp on its own can really fill a room (even a big room).

7. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Easiest to run into the GT 100 and then split the outputs in stereo to each pre amp. Go right into the front panels. The left preamp channel is passive and the right is active so they will eq differently. Run the preamp volumes low and the post gains all the way up. Keep the saturation control on the left preamp on zero. The midrange controls are a little tricky. Run the outer ring around 5-6 and the inner control almost off. If you need more mids just bring the inner control up a little bit.

I have one of those amps that I bought new for around $500.00 back in the day so I guess you did well. I still use it on a few outdoor gigs during the year. It weighs a ton but its loud as all get go.

Its a JC120 killer...

8. Auriemma

Auriemma Member

Whale... Impressive weight is right... like 75 pounds! I wouldn't want this puppy 5 feet in the air (ear level).

Musicman1... until I get some insert cables to play with 4CM, I think I'll take your advice on setup.

I could just run the soundboard into this amp, and plug everything into the board.

Thanks all!

9. musicman1

musicman1 Member

No prob. I will say this much, it is a really good amp. Years ago I found insert cables made by Hosa.

10. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

Yeah, putting that thing on anything higher than a chair is challenging.

The single handle on top is a cruel joke.

enjoy the amp.

11. Twang!

Twang! Member

Super LOUD. Super Heavy! Super chorus. Near bulletfproof as well. WIN!

12. Auriemma

Auriemma Member

Whale... have you tried NOT plugging in the footswitch? That supposedly disables the chorus and reverb. Just curious.

13. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

Yeah, to the best of my recollection, the effects do need the footswitch plugged in to work, I don't like that. The other thing I don't like about the SC 212 is the eq on the distortion channel; mine is the older model with the 2 band eq and it's difficult to get it right.

And that non-chorus chorus thing I notice is with the footswitch plugged in, the chorus switched on and both knobs turned counter-clockwise. It disappears with the chorus switched off.