1988 Stratocaster Deluxe Plus Dusty Rose

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by Doc3, Jan 12, 2020.

1. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Member

Nice guitar and love that colour!
    I had a Strat Plus w/ Fold Lace Sensor pickups back in the early - mid 90s, it was my first real “Strat” after a decade+ of the EVH / Super Strat thing and I loved it; that guitar had the most insanely flamed maple neck, it was awesome and sounded great through my blond Fender amps I owned at the time.

2. Doc3

Doc3 Member

Some of the early "vintage" models have a new trem block and mechanism for keeping the guitar strings in tune. You can see it in the last picture above:

http://xhefriguitars.com/Stuff/Mini Floyd Bridge/IN FR Bridge setup.pdf

"And to make it even easier, the Tremolo arm that comes with these bridges has a Hex Key on the tip, which you can use to loose and tighten the Hex screws! Really handy! Setting the intonation is tricky (another reason some people do not like them). You do it from the underside of the bridge (from the back of the guitar with the the trem-cover off). There is a set of Hex screws that you loosen to move the string saddle back and forth. Again, NOT ALL Strat Plus Deluxe's use these. As stated, they are more common from 1993-4 onward."

3. woof*

woof* Member

Hmm your link is for a Fender Floyd?
    What I see on the guitar is a two point fender trem with a skinny block and a Tremol-No device in the middle?
    Love that color!

67blackcherry likes this.
  4. Doc3

Doc3 Member

Nope, get hip baby...

"Many of the Plus Series, but not all, came with a Hipshot Trimsetter, which compensated for string tension. Once set up correctly, and after getting the guitar in tune, they stay in tune. If a string breaks while playing, the Tremsetter will compensate and the guitar will continue to stay in tune. (How to set one of these up will show on the "tips" page.) Please note the neck plate—all Plus' have the Fender logo written on it like the one above, except the Ultras will also have the word on there too. If you get one that says Corona, CA on it, it has been changed!

Like many of the later USA Strats, these necks have the micro-tilt adjustment, which is an Allen Screw under the Fender neck plate, which pressed against truss-rod grommet on the backside of the neck. This gives you the versatility of tilting the neck instead of the old method of resorting to cardboard or wooden shims. The “Micro-tilt adjuster” is a pretty fancy name! Truth is, these are in most hardware stores and have been used for years by cabinet makers. They are used to adjust the space on drawers and such. The name for these in a hardware store is a “4-Claw Tee Nut”!! They come in a variety of sizes but the size Fender uses is 1/4-20 x 5/16. The screw is a 1/4 inch Allen Screw."

GGinMP likes this.
  5. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

A "vintage" guitar is defined as "over 30 years old". Much like the definition of an "antique" automobile being "over 25 years old". By definition, this 32 year old guitar is a vintage guitar.

Is it a collectible guitar, or one that hails from the hey day or "golden years" of vintage guitars? No, not by 20 years.

But by definition it's absolutely "vintage".

OP, that's a cool color for sure, and I dig the color it's faded into!

6. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Guys, there is no universally accepted definition of vintage in relation to guitars, that's why conversations like this one never resolve themselves. One side of the game stamp their foot and say the definition is anything before the mid 60s, the other side stamp their foot and say it's anything over 25 years, people start talking about cars and wine, everyone falls out and we ruin the OP's thread. We do this every few months and we really should know to stay away from it by now.

The mods decided this subforum would be better without putting up strict rules about what qualifies and I agree - just say it's an cool old guitar and this is the section for people that like cool old things. One of the things I like about old guitars that haven't been made for a long time is the way they open windows to the era they came from, and the Strat Plus definitely qualifies as a nice example of that.

ethomas1013 and johnsav like this.
  7. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Am I the only one childish enough to think Titty Pink and Dusty Gold sound less like guitar colours than they do names on the actor credits of that dodgy VHS tape at the back of your Dad's wardrobe he thought was carefully concealed behind some sweaters?

johnsav likes this.
  8. johnsav

johnsav Member

Sunburn-st?

9. Doc3

Doc3 Member

Well it does require experience with trim.

Jayyj likes this.
  10. Mayflower

Mayflower Silver Supporting Member

I was never a huge fan of those models but I have heard them live a few times and knocked me out.
    32 years in that color???? Really nice look and vibe. I hope you enjoy it.