1989 AVRI '62 Strat in the sun

dansworld

Gold Supporting Member
Good looking Strat! Aftermarket p'guard?
Thanks! It was a real mess when I won it at auction, it was literally put away wet. I had to dispose of the original tweed case it smelled so bad.

Yes, it's a replacement assembly all around with Lollar Blondes and an RS kit.

I buffed and slightly sanded the finish and it really cam alive, it's a nicely blended 3 x sunburst. I had to replace the tailpiece with a Callaham, but not before I pegged and re-drilled the six pivot screws because they had been originally drilled off center from each other- 1989 QC was perhaps a little lacking when this one came through.

It's a splendidly spanky little Strat. The Callaham makes it bright too, so you can lower the tone on the bridge and just scream away. It also adds a slight edge to the neck pickup giving it terrific definition.

All in all, a really nicely cleaned up Fender.

Last edited:

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
Plays well? I had a 2000 '62 with 'rising tongue.' Could never get it to play properly in the upper frets.

dansworld

Gold Supporting Member
Plays well? I had a 2000 '62 with 'rising tongue.' Could never get it to play properly in the upper frets.
I have a good repair person who gave it a fret leveling. It really has a great low action, and the Callaham is really smooth. It doesn't even fret out when bending except a teeny tiny bit way up on the high E string.

My only complaint is the neck is drilled a little off center, but not enough to do a plug and drill....you just have to jack it over a little when you tighten the neck screws. My repairman said it's not too bad so it's ok to do that.

I've had tongue rise on Strats new and old. I have them fret leveled no matter what.

Trending Topics