1989 telecasters rare?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by catsandtrees, Feb 24, 2008.

1. catsandtrees

catsandtrees Member

Hello!

Would it be rare to chance upon 1989 telecasters for sale on the great collective? I was born in 1989 and telecasters seem to be what i love most. A dream to own a yummy 1989 52' telecaster ( or any other tele made in 1989) but haven't really seen any aside from a James Paisley tele.

marcus

2. 61Ephramite

61Ephramite Supporting Member

If I'm not mistaken, 1988-1989 Fenders were made in Japan as the Fender buyout from CBS meant the relocation of American manufacturing to a new facility. I've seen a '89 Tele, made in Japan, so I know they exist! The Japanese models from that time are known to be of better quality than most Americans at the tail end of CBS. They are out there; keep looking and save up some money.

3. auffredou

auffredou Member

really 61? ALL fenders? Because Ive been looking at an 89 strat that says made in USA on the headstock.

4. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

I've got a US 89 tele

5. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

US production resumed in '87.....but many 87's have E4 serial numbers. that said, i have an '88 US tele which i bought new and it's quite nice.

I wouldn't say it's rare by any stretch of the imagination. in fact, prices on the late 80's american standards are still reasonable for now.

good luck!

cheers,
    wade

PS--there are also MIJ/CIJ fenders from the late 80s as well, but they're not "American Standards"

6. catsandtrees

catsandtrees Member

wow! whats the color of it? :)

7. John C

John C Supporting Member

As others have mentioned, the buyout from CBS happened in early 1985 and it would be the time from 1985-1986 without any USA production. CBS didn't sell FMIC the old plant, so CBS sold the old Fullerton factory piecemeal. FMIC was only going to import Japanese guitars at first, but then decided to resume USA production.

In mid-1986 Fender got their original Corona facility up and running with limited production of the American Vintage series, then launched the American Standards toward the end of the year - there are a few of those "E4XXXXX" serial number American Standards that date to late 1986.

Fender also had a thriving MIJ "Contemporary" line in that 1985-1992 era, and several reissue lines that also were MIJ; it wasn't until the late 1990s that they moved the import reissues to their Mexican plant and only use MIJ for certain models (the Strat XII, Aerodynes, and a few others are still MIJ/CIJ).

8. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All original apart from pickups are Bare Knuckle Piledrivers and the pickguard is painted in acryllics. I might try and get the design screen printed at some point

9. catsandtrees

catsandtrees Member

thats probably the 2nd burst i have ever liked.

10. emjee

emjee Member

I have always thought the "e" stood for "Eighties". My Tele's ser# is E81*589. I have a 90s MIM strat and the ser# on that starts with an "N" (after the "M" for mxco) . Anyway, my '89 tele was my first brand new guitar made in USA. I had a really cool '76 LP Custom when I was twenty-four but sold it:jo, and because of my rebellious attitude, I really didnt care. Then after a few trs of young and dumb behaviour I got my act together, and after the first yr on a job, I went to GC and bought it. It was 699. Sunburst (like the one pictured abv), maple neck. Then after a couple years I got a small inheritance and so I had Gary Brawer in SF put in a set of EMG's. I liked 'em, but I still wantd something more versatile. So, I went back to Gary, he routed the middle part so he could move the rear tele P'up to the middle, and then he enlarged the rear route to fit an EMG 85, and put in a five way switch. I still have it and have played it so much the frets are worn out! Sorry so long winded, but my 89 Tele is one guitar I will never sell. (not that anyone would want it the way it is anyway. Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you that
    you couldnt buy a Tele P/G (with a middle p'up cut) off the shelf, so I had to have Chandler make me a custom one. Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it.

MG

11. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

12. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

Had to check to see if I was on Harmony Central or something for a second! :D

There are THOUSANDS of '89 USA-made Telecasters out there.

13. catsandtrees

catsandtrees Member

If there is anyone out there who did like to let go of their 89 teles. do pm me. Thanks for all the input :) the replies made my day.

i found one here.
    http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/msg/582261405.html

is this a good price? A pity he doesn't ship internationally though.

14. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

Not a particularly good price.