1990's DeArmond Guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by LadOfEastPoland, May 21, 2015.

1. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

Has anybody had any experience with these? I was looking either for a Newark St. Guild Aristocrat of Dearmond Starfire IV from the 1990's. Are they worth it? Are they good quality? Anybody had any experience with them? Post your photos, if so.
    Thanks!

2. Meals

Meals Member

I have a DeArmond bass from the 90's and I can't fault it in anyway. I would assume their guitars were built just as well.

3. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

I've played several but never owned one. They seem solid enough. The DeArmond 2000 pickups are terrific, I think.

4. Defendant

Defendant Member

I own a 90s DeArmond Starfire 4. Played it for years, used it stock on a bunch of records and sessions. Excellent playing, great sounding guitar. The tuners gave up last year and I needed to get it refretted.

The plastic control knobs can have bits break off and the gold sections of the pickups can flake. But to be fair I played mine hard and a lot.

The new Korean Guild Starfires are fantastic as well. Possibly better.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  5. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Those are great guitars, I bought several when GC blew them out dirt cheap.

Very high quality, but a lot of them are really heavy.

6. burns

burns Member

I've got an M-75T in Champagne Sparkle. I didn't like the tuners so I put an old set of Guild tuners (Grovers?) my buddy gave me on (thanks, Charlie!).
    Pros - Looks great, sounds great, plays great!
    Cons - "Heavy as a bahstid"!

7. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

Well, the only DeArmond I was considering was Starfire IV, so no M75.

8. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

The M75 was great. I wish I hadn't had sold my silver sparkle one that I got on blowout from MF. It played and sounded great.

9. burns

burns Member

I don't know about Europe but in the states you can find great deals on used Guild Starfires, maybe consider them?

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

They were pretty good, at least as good as comparable Epiphones of the time. The pickups were a bit better in most cases though.

11. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I've had experience with both lines. The Newark St. line is MUCH closer to vintage Guild specs in construction, weight, design and tone. That's neither good nor bad, depending on what you like. I preferred the Newark St. line by far, as I love old Guilds. The DeArmonds were very heavy depending on the model and they were made of odd woods like agathis instead of mahogany.

They are fine guitars, though, and made pretty well, IMO.

12. brianeharmonjr

brianeharmonjr Member

I had a DeArmond Starfire III and IV, and an S-100, and they were all fantastic instruments, easily as good as the best Epiphones I've played. I believe they were all, or at least most, made in South Korea. They were all fairly heavy, and have thick poly finishes, but great guitars in the price range.

13. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I've owned many Dearmonds ... some excellent and very useful instruments. Including the Dearmond Starfire Special. The Special turned out to be no my favorite Dearmond. That would be an M75T and one of the rare, S-73 12 strings.

Have to say that the one Newark Street Guild Aristocrat I tried for about a minute was at the highest level of MIK craftsmanship, better than any of the dearmonds I've had. Quite impressive for the price.
    MD

14. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

DeArmond Starfire IV should be available for less than 700$ used.

15. '56 Merc

'56 Merc Member

I have several DeArmond guitars and they are all great. My T-400 is similar to the Starfire with the 2000 pickups. Those are great sounding pickups. Lots of great Blues, Rockabilly, and other Roots music tones to be had. No problems with the Digsby on it or my M75T, they work as well as a Bigsby.