1991 Les Paul Studio

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by powerwagonjohn, Feb 16, 2012.

1. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Member

My wife just bought me my first Les Paul, it's a 1991 Les Paul Studio with wine red finish, an ebony fretboard and gold hardware. I don't have the guitar in hand yet but I have played a 1990 Studio and really liked it. I have been looking around and the 1990-93 Studios are not that easy to find. I have a 68 SG Std. a 66 SG Jr and a couple Gibson archtops plus a 1973 Guild Starfire IV but I am not sure what to expect with my first Les Paul. I have heard conflicting information. Is the 1991 Studio chambered/ weight relieved? maple or mahogany neck? And what pickups did they come with and what are they like? I play through a 1964 Fender Tremolux so I can hardly wait to plug in this new to me Les Paul. Answers, comments and opinions are all welcome.
    Thanks John
    PS did I mention the 14TH was my birthday and I got a great wife!!!!

2. dcooper830

dcooper830 Member

My first Les Paul was also a 1991 wine red Studio. Its a great guitar that plays and sounds just as sweet as my '58 reissue.

Ebony fretboard. I believe it has the 490R/498T pickups. I don't actually know if the neck is maple or mahogany. I've never been concerned with that at all.

I don't think its clambered or weight relieved. It feelse pretty solid and weighs a good 9 lbs. or so.

Its extremely comfortable to play. I love it and hope to never part with it.

3. jamdogg

jamdogg Member

Great year for those LPs. I had one myself.

Great guitar and wife.

4. guitkrazy

guitkrazy Member

My first Les Paul was a 91 also! I still have it! though it sits in its case & hasn't been played in a long time. Yeah there is definatly something about that year LP! Congrats!

5. Tom60

Tom60 Senior Member

The neck is mahogany, the body is weight relieved (swiss cheese).
    The pickups as mentioned above..
    I have an early 1993 Studio, wine/gold/ebony fretboard.. heavy, but with sustain like no other LP I´ve got. Killer, same as my 1992 Standard.
    And the back is one-piece .. on a Studio !!
    Early 90s gibby = :dude

6. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I have a '95 studio that is really nice. I planned on stripping the neck, back and sides and shooting them in natural . . . one of these days.

7. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Supporting Member

I have a 95 Studio that is one of the best LPs I have played...haven't played any historics yet. I got this a year after I got my first guitar and has served me well as my only LP and Gibson for the last 11.5 years...even when a Gretsch and Tele have become more favored since. A recent spark has me picking this guy up more lately and has sparked the interest in gibson electrics lately...mainly a Burst LP, LP jr, 335, and 61 style SG...mostly a 335 though!

Mine has a mahogany body and neck, and maple top, and ebony fretboard. I believe the Pups are the 490R and 498T, but I replaced those with a SD APH2 neck and JB bridge...looking at swapping these to something else soon.

I'm not sure of the chambering/weight relief since this is the heaviest of my guitars and seems pretty solid. It sounds good, so that is what matters to me. I'm sure after a thorough going over and set up it will shine big time.

Has anyone switched out the electronics in their Studio? Looking into the control cavity recently I didn't realize that the pots were on a metal plate...

8. goodwater

goodwater Member

I've got a '93 black with ebony (ordered from local dealer new, took me about 6 months to pay the layaway off) and it plays every bit as well as my Historics but it's a whole lot heavier. I know that it's swiss cheesed but it's still 10lbs+

9. scolfax

scolfax Member

Isn't this thread useless without pics?!?!

10. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

You will be very happy with your new Studio. I had a '92, such a good Les Paul the original owner bought it back after 3 years.

The '91 will have an ebony fretboard, 490/498 pups and will be weight relieved.

The only thing I did was install an RS Electronics Uograde Kit which really opened up the stock pups.

Here's a pic of the one I had.

[​IMG]

11. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

I got a white Studio new in '92. Twenty years later, I still have it and it's my only dual humbucker guitar. In the past three years, I did change the caps to PIO and put '57 Classic pickups in it. It's a nice improvement to take the "edge" off the stock pickups but it's good either way. Mine has the ebony fb and gold hardware but I do not think Studios from this era were weight relieve unless they were designated a "Studio-Lite".

Here is mine:

[​IMG]

12. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

All Les Paul's made starting around 1981 thru 2006 are weight relieved by the drilling of 9 holes into the body.

[​IMG]

Chambering didn't start on regular production models (replacing the 9 hole method) until around 2006/2007.

[​IMG]

13. Tom60

Tom60 Senior Member

Right, even the Customs had 9 holes in them ("regular" i.e.non-Historic ones still have),
    the chambering is said to have started in October 2006.

14. danelectro

danelectro Supporting Member

I had a black 1990 with an ebony board. It had chromite (balsa) inserts in the body and weighed 8lbs flat. It was a wonderful guitar but I ended up selling it to buy a sunburst classic. The classic was great, but I still regret selling the studio

15. brado

brado Member

Congrats, hope your Les Paul is as great for you as your wife is!