1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio Tuning Key Size

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Scott McClain, May 21, 2020.

1. Scott McClain

Scott McClain Member

I need to replace the tuners on my 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio. Upon trying to find some it appears there are two sizes, 10mm and 8.5mm. I've never replaced tuners on any guitar but I think this should be pretty straight forward if I have the correct size bushing. I have to replace them because when I was changing the strings one them actually came apart and another one is so sloppy I think it will probably fall apart too. I was able to reassemble the tuner and reinstall it and once I put tension the strings they seem to tighten back up. But I would also like to add locking tuners just for ease of changing strings with locking tuners. I'm not sure what the sizes 10mm and 8.5mm refers to exactly but I'm thinking that is the size of the whole that is drill into the headstock for the peg to go through. But I was hoping one of you smarter than me folks could tell me for sure which tuning keys would be correct. I am looking at these Kluson tuners..

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-h...evolution-series-g-mount-tuning-machines.html

Would those be the correct ones for a '92 Studio?

2. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

Good choice on these tuners. I put the non locking set in my Special and couldn't be happier with them.

Can you show a pic of your headstock? If your Gibby has a screw in bushing, you should be good to go but I can't say that with 100 percent certainty. I'm just not certain about a '92 Studio. The 8.5 mm bushing is generally for the Historic (Vintage) Gibsons without the screw in bushing.

3. Scott McClain

Scott McClain Member

I don't know how to add a photo here. It asks for a URL and I don't have the files on the web anywhere that I can give a URL. I tried the "Media Gallery Embed" thing I see but it said something about I don't have any and I have no clue how/where to do that. But I can tell you that it does have those same screw in bushing like the ones in the link I provided above because I had to take the one out that fell apart to put it back together and it had that threaded bushing deal.

4. VintagePlayerStrat

Maybe someone could chime in who is more familiar with early 90s Studios, but I'm 99 percent sure you're good.

First pic is my Special with the 10 mm Revolution tuners fully installed next to my Historic headstock with the 8.5 mm bushings and Tone Pros tuners.

Next one is after I installed the first Revolution tuner in the Special. They were a direct fit for my guitar and I really like the increased gear ratio, no weight added to the headstock, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Scott McClain

Scott McClain Member

Mine look like the one on the right in the first picture. It has that locking nut on it. Mine are gold but yea. I decided to go with the non-locking ones because I had serious issues with that Stew Mac website with trying to place the order so I had to straight to the Kluson website. I didn't even realize it until after I placed the order but I had ordered the non-locking but then when I realized what I had just done I went back and looked at the locking ones. Not only were they far more expensive buy like $50 but I couldn't get the gold metal buttons the locking tuners as an option. Don't know why that is but whatever. It isn't that big of a deal on the locking ones. And I like the gold buttons more anyway. But I like saving my jack more! LOL Thank you so much for your help. I'm pretty sure these are right too.

6. VintagePlayerStrat

And one more pic, all of the Revolutions installed. Really nice product.

[​IMG]

7. Scott McClain

Scott McClain Member

Can you explain to me how you add the pictures? I can't seem to figure it out.

8. VintagePlayerStrat

Sure. Probably a faster way, but I go to this site and upload the pic: https://imgbb.com

After it's uploaded, I right click on it and "copy image address."

Then I click on the icon that looks like a little picture in the heading of the message box I assume we're both using on this forum

I paste the image address there, and insert the photo.

9. Scott McClain

Scott McClain Member

Let's see if this works for the pics of my Studio
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. VintagePlayerStrat

Hey, it worked. That Studio looks like it's served you well. And I think you ordered the right tuners too.

You're gonna dig them and they should be an easy drop in. The only problem I had when changing mine was one of the tiny screw holes was slightly large and the screw wouldn't catch. I broke off the tip of a toothpick in the hole to give the little screw something to catch and all was well.

11. Scott McClain

Scott McClain Member

Thanks for helping me out VintagePlayerStrat! It was kind of bugging me that I accidentally ordered the tuners that weren't locking as I stated in my other reply. So I went on Reverb and found the same locking tuners and then some of the replacement knobs that are also metal and in the gold and was able to get those for less than I was paying for the ones from Kluson. I was able to get that order cancelled this morning from Kluson. I'm not 100% sure that those replacement knobs will work properly on the locking ones as Kluson didn't have an option to purchase the locking with the metal gold knobs.
    As far as the LP "serving me well" well I only purchased it a few months ago. But the guy I got it from was the original owner. So to be only the second owner of one that age is something I guess. I do like it so far.
    Again, thank you for your help! I will reply again later once I get them installed (or if I have some questions during the install! LOL) with some pics of them.

12. VintagePlayerStrat

13. Scott McClain

Scott McClain Member

The Kluson tuners worked flawlessly. Thank you so much again for your help! Even stays in tune!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. VintagePlayerStrat

Looking good. Enjoy!

I did a few mods to my Les Paul Special after I bought it, and changing to the Revolution tuners was the best move of them all.

Last edited: May 31, 2020