1995 Gibson Advanced Jumbo

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by DucRyder, Jan 24, 2008.

1. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

I saw a 1995 Gibson Advanced jumbo that was marked "Vintage AJ" on the label instead of "Advanced Jumbo" it also had a natural top. Does anyone know anything about these?

2. Stubee

Stubee Member

Ones like that pop up on Ebay etc. once in awhile. Not sure what it means, maybe just the natural top? I know they also made a few with maple backs, other differences. Mine is just a straight-out SB/RW, and the label says "Advanced Jumbo".

Maybe you could call Gibson in Bozeman & ask 'em about yours?

3. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

I'd call too, but I trust the knowledge around here as much or more than I trust what an operator at Gibson has to say...

4. TaylorPlayer

TaylorPlayer Member

I could be wrong but I think the Vintage label means it was a special run and may be a short scale. My 2005 AJ is 25.5" and features the regular AJ look from the 30's. Great guitars. You won't be dissapointed if you get one.

[​IMG]

5. Ogre

Ogre Member

They made a number of these and the only difference is in the color. Scale on them is 25.5". There are short scale Advanced Jumbos out there, but they are very limited in number. I have seen them at: www.guitarsale.com

6. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

Thank you for the info. I'm glad as I wouldn't want the shorter scale on this particular model.

7. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

Thanks for the advice Ogre... I went ahead and bought her.

8. Ogre

Ogre Member

Play it in good health!

9. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

Thank you Doing so at this moment.... WOW! that 12 years of strumming really opened up the top. This puppy is LOUD. Seems like all the stuff I like about Martin and Gibson in one guitar. Just love the soft V neck.

10. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

DucRyder,

Congrats on the '95 AJ purchase. I just bought one as well and am very happy with it, for all the reasons you described. Although mine has a rounder wide C neck profile.

Here's my guess about the "Vintage" tag on your AJ. Gibson began reissuing the AJs in '90, but they were by special order only. Around 2000 they began production out of the Montana shop on a regular basis. The special orders may have the "vintage" designation.

Oddly enough, Gibson has stopped production of the AJ (once again) and GC has gone in and bought up most of the remaining supply. That's why you'll see them right now at GCs. I put mine on hold at the end of Dec '07 because I was going out of the country for a few weeks. When I tied it up it was $1995. While I was away they had a sale for a few days and the price dropped several hundred dollars, and the salesman (a personal friend) adjusted the price for me. When I got back from my trip I learned that my AJ was now $1595! So I'm a VERY happy AJ owner.

I never knew about AJs until I tried mine at GC and was immediately addicted. If anyone is interested now might be the time to grab one.

11. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

Funny you mention this. The first one I wanted was at GC around the beginning of Jan. and they wouldn't budge on price. I'm glad they didn't as the one I picked up sure looks to have a Brazilian Rosewood Bridge. I think that may have been the "vintage AJ" designation (unless this was a special order) both guitars sound great though..

12. Dotneck

Dotneck Member

I jumped when I saw the close out price at GC, too. It was the same price as the J-45...decent deal on the J-45...GREAT price on the AJ.

I'm happy, too!

:dude