1996 Fender Mexican Stratocaster that I can't find in any Fender books. What is it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 2HBStrat, Feb 24, 2012.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I won a 1996 Fender Mexican Stratocaster on eBay several years ago, put it away and never played it until recently. I got it out and played it a bit and really liked it. Then I started wondering what model it is. So.....I looked through all my Fender literature and I can't seem to find it. It is basically like what Fender now calls the 'Classic 50's Stratocaster' except it has a humbucker in the bridge position, and it has the plastic truss rod lining insert. I can't find it listed anywhere in 1995 or 1996 literature.

Any ideas?

2. janosfia

janosfia Member

Got any pics? How is it "like what Fender now calls the Classic '50s Stratocaster?" How is it different from a Standard MIM Stratocaster?

3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

It has the old style spaghetti logo and 50's features rather than the more modern look of the 'standard' series MIM Strats. It's a bit like the short lived 1995 Mexican 'Strat Special' except that it has three knobs and white pickguard instead of the black plastic with two knobs and coil tap switch like the Strat Special had. I think it's an update of that model but I can't find it in the literature.

4. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

UPDATE: I found it (I think)!

In the Fender Frontline Summer and Fall catalogues of 1997 alongside the 'Standard' Stratocaster there is a model called "Traditional Stratocaster." It is available in SSS and HSS versions and appears to be the closest thing to my guitar. The pics in the Frontline do not show the old style spaghetti 'Fender' logo, however, but the newer modern logo. There's little difference between the 'Traditional' Stratocaster and the 'Standard' Stratocaster which I guess is why it didn't last!

5. scolfax

scolfax Member

Would it be impolite of me to demand pics?!

6. joeburke

joeburke Member

What color is it? There was also the Tex-Mex strat during that timeframe. It was the precursor to the Jimmie Vaughan sig, and it did have the spaghetti logo with the black plastic truss rod piece...

7. janosfia

janosfia Member

Did Fender do FSRs back in 1996? Sometimes the only way to tell an FSR is by a little sticker on the back of the headstock. A sticker which is quite easily removed. One thing I've noticed is that Fender doesn't officially document their FSRs at all.

8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I don't know how to upload pics. It's just a straightforward Strat with a humbucker. It's not the latter humbucker that had two screws on the bass side of the pickup. Mine just has one screw on each side.

It's black. Yeah, it might be that model but it looks really close to "Traditional Stratocaster" in those Fender Frontlines.

It doesn't have any kind of sticker on the back of the headstock. I think some 1996 models did, as the 50th Anniversary of 'Fender', not the 50th anniversary of the Stratocaster.

9. joeburke

joeburke Member

Probably not the Tex-Mex, I think they were only available in Sonic blue, vintage white and maybe surf green?

10. stilesg57

stilesg57 Member

My '95 Tex-Mex is in three tone burst. That was my first thought when I saw this thread title. I remember a very similar version with a bucker in the bridge being available...

11. Raygun Gothic

Raygun Gothic Member

Could be the short lived ('97 - '98) California Series. Supposedly the components were made in Corona and shipped to Ensenada for finishing then sent back to Corona for assembly. Serial numbers start with AMXN6 or AMX7. I've got one of the fat Teles, they're great axes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_California_Series_%28USA%29

12. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Yeah they do. I recently got one and called Fender CS with the serial number and they told me exactly what it was supposed to be down to the pickup screws, including FSR part...You must have talked to the wrong person.

13. goodwater

goodwater Member

I remember seeing black Tex Mex strats as well

14. Stendalhus

Stendalhus Member

Greatings out there....

I'm the proud owner of such a Fender MEX Stratocaster HSS 1996 anniversary. It's a special model build after American specifications. Witch means it is all through a Mexican Fender, but build with an accuracy and precision, witch match an American build Stratocater. The qualty for theese guitars is, in my opinion above an American Standard, witch is known to be everything else, but standard, due to the facts; if you go down to the musicshop an try out 20 standard, you'll hear 20 very different guitars. Hi.

As I see it, you got yerself a Mexican Strat, build like an American Strat. Paid Mex-price for American quality.

My fender are red and dark, much like, most of the way, a Squir Simon Neil, but HSS. It sounds great and the Humbucker realy sparks even a Marshall to the edge.

I personaly own both the Fender 1996 and Squier Simon Neil signature. They both plays very well, and tried to compare to the American build Fenders. Well. As I see it, you need to visit the Custom Shop, and pay them much, much more money, to find a sound, witch is that much better.

Enjoy and be proud to own a very nice and fine Fender.

-Its the man and not the machine, witch matter.

15. B e n

B e n Member

I used to have a Mexican James Burton Sig. model tele. probably from the same era, exact repro of a 50's tele, 2-tone burst, spaghetti logo, fat maple neck with small frets, Fender vintage SC's with 50's wiring, even had a 3 saddle bridge. Super, super nice guitar, wish I still had it.

16. nachobijou

nachobijou Member

Hi, I write on this forum to try to identify this guitar.

After some internet searching I think it is a MIM Fender Tex-Mex manufactured between mid 1995 and 1996.

I see that the guitar has the same specs as you write here, I hope to be lucky, because I want to buy it and do not know what price could pay for it.

I'm from Spain and the prices of used guitars are more expensive here, the guitar is in very good condition. More photos Fender Made in Mexico MIM Tex-Mex 1996 50 Anniversary Serial Number MN5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In addition to the guitar, the seller included in the lot: the original white rapper (the seller says the black pickguard is also added), an amplifier Fender Bullet PR-241 and Korg pedal Toneworks AX30g.

What would be a reasonable price?

These guitars were made only for a year until it began distributing the model Jimmie Vaughan, I have a question, were exported to Europe?

Thanks in advance, regards!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the seller changed the pickguard, buttons and pickups cover when bought the guitar.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

That looks like an early MIM Classic 50's Strat to me. Value probably in the $400-450 range +/-.....I don't know about the pedals, though.

18. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

Didn't the Classic series start in '98?

19. ASATlove

ASATlove Supporting Member

My bet is with another poster....... The California series.

20. Monotremata

Monotremata Member

My 1996 Standard has the 50th Anniversary sticker on the back of the headstock.. From what I remember when I bought it brand new, all of them had those on them, so yours may have been removed at some point..
    As for the humbucker.. Don't always assume it was a HSS Strat initially. They all have swimming pool routes.. I threw a Duncan in mine (but it obviously has the Duncan logo on it so ya know I messed with it hehe)..

Just send Fenders Customer Support the serial number. They'll get back to you in a couple days and give you all the specs right down to the month it was actually made.

And yeah the Classic series didn't start until much later so its not a Classic 50s anything..