1996 Nada Surf gem

27sauce

Haha, my wife and I heard this in the car yesterday and I told her we'd have to explain this to our kids one day.

Blanket Jackson

Every day is like Tio's birthday
Gold Supporting Member
In retrospect, with now 20 years of additional music behind them, this track seems like the anomalie. For a real intro to their sound and strengths as songwriters and performers i reccomend listening to Let Go in its entirety.

Last edited:

bdm

Silver Supporting Member
Its amazing how weak their first record is compared to the career's worth or material they've released since their initial "one hit wonder" phenomenon.

That first record sounds rather genericly 90s, like they had not found their own identity. They've actually released a number of genuinely great albums in the last 10-15 years and really settled into themselves as a band.

They put out an album several years ago called The Stars Are Indifferent to Astronomy with a "new" lead guitarist, Doug Gillard. That record is slathered with smart guitar. Gillard is a fantastic guitar player who plays with an amazing balance of taste, technique and creativity. Not to discount their other albums but he really raised the level of that band to me.

Last edited:

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
You can tell that the writing was good though... they remind me of these guys in a way:

I saw The Ocean Blue at a small club in Palo Alto in the early 90s. Two things I remember about the band.

One of their encores was The Smiths' "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out," which got the biggest applause of the night (that made me feel a bit bad for them).

Second, J. D. Considine's immortal short review of an album by the band in Musician magazine: "Echo of the bunnymen."

zekmoe

Gold Supporting Member
That album sounds great. I listen to it from time to time. I need to reinvest in this band.

A-Bone

reminds me in a way of the famous Spinal Tap Shark Sandwich album review ...
They had a regular feature in Musician magazine called "Short Takes" where J. D. Considine wrote these short reviews. The most famous is probably his review of an album by "supergroup" GTR which read in its entirety "SHT."

Crowder

Dang Twangler
The virtual demise of the celebrity music critic is one of the best things about the internet.

A-Bone

The virtual demise of the celebrity music critic is one of the best things about the internet.
I imagine Considine would enjoy being referred to as a celebrity. I don't know. I think I get where you're coming from, but it's a mixed bag. I miss that level of quality writing. Bangs, Marcus, Fricke, and that ilk are often good reading, whether one agrees with their assessment or not.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
I imagine Considine would enjoy being referred to as a celebrity. I don't know. I think I get where you're coming from, but it's a mixed bag. I miss that level of quality writing. Bangs, Marcus, Fricke, and that ilk are often good reading, whether one agrees with their assessment or not.
I can agree with the bolded part, but writing about art is so tricky, and so often turns into writing about the writer.

Goku13

I always liked Nada Surf. That album with "blizzard of 77" and "blonde over blue" on it is really good. They definitely found their sound after the first album, but they are an interesting band, great mood music for a rainy day or something haha.

geekocaster

Nada Surf has a pretty big catalog and the song in the OP video doesn't really represent the style of music they do. Great band.

Trending Topics