1996 Taylor K22 - Poor Mans Koa?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Lestercollector, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Lestercollector

Lestercollector Supporting Member

I've heard that the 1996 Taylor 422K (all Koa) Acoustic was intended to be the "poor mans Koa" Is there any truth to this......? I picked one up in 96 and I thinks it's wonderful to this day. Anyone else have one?

2. Lestercollector

Bump - Has anyone even heard of this model?

3. mischultz

mischultz Member

Heard of it and played a couple. Not sure where the "poor man's" comes in as they certainly weren't inexpensive. The 12 size Taylors have been some of their better guitars and that body style responds really well to koa, IMO.

Best,

Michael

4. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Koa top, right? Not sure where the "Poor Man's" part comes in. Nice guitars, though. Not really into the 12 body depth, or lack thereof, but Mahogany X12's ound great. Maybe some of the 3-4 series that they'r putting out with Koa and satin finishes.

5. Lestercollector

This is what I found out today:

As I understand it, Bob Taylor had a surplus of Koa that did not have much grain to it back in 1996. He wanted to use up this Koa, so he created the 422K "All Koa" model that would be affordable for the working Joe. This is how the "Poor Mans Koa" name came about. The plan was to build the 422K for one year, and sell them for under a grand. Well, they ran out of Koa in six months, so the number of guitars were limited. How many? I don't know. Anyhow, my name is Joe, and I like my 422K :p

6. Lestercollector

actually, all Koa. Top, sides, back, neck too (I think)

7. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

The K22 was an all-koa if I remember correctly. A 422K like you mention would make sense. The GA's would come with spruce tops, which I still dug, but going Koa, why not go for the Koa top, right? That's what I think is cool about my girlfriend's guitar. I'm not a big fan of Taylor's stain on the Koa's, but they do have a lot of em with really nice figure. The stain I like on Koa's is on the Alvarez WY1-K's.

8. joeh77

joeh77 Member

I just ordered the book on Taylor history. I'll look to see what they say about that model.

In the link below you'll see a used 2000 K-22 for $2999. I wouldn't call that "cheap". I think Tacoma has a very nice small, parlor Koa body that's about $1400. I'd think that one was more of a "poor man's" Koa. I have a Taylor 314-KCE that has Koa back and sides, but a spruce top. That was about $1400 in 2002.

http://www.tfta.com/eshop/product.asp?crypt=HPcog?(NPcog?(WugtKF?449869979(WutPcog?(WutV{rg?(WutNgxgn?&t=Flat+Top&w=Guitars&CGID=43&sKey=Search&iPage=3&PRID=3613

Joe

9. Lestercollector

Joe: There has been some confusion as to what model we're talking about. It is in fact a 1996 422K Taylor (all Koa) that we need info on if you can find it.

Much Appreciated!

Joe

10. joeh77

joeh77 Member

I just received the book, Taylor Guitars - 30 years of a new American Classic . By taking a quick look at the index the K22 is mentioned twice. Basically they mention that at winter NAMM in 1984 Taylor introduced the grand concert body style and designated it with the number 2. Later that year they introduced the K12 (spruce top, koa back and sides) and the K22 (koa top, back and sides). Later in the book it says, " In 1998 the company was able to find a fairly reliable source of koa, so they reintroduced the Koa Series. Each instrument in the series featured tortoiseshell colored plastic binding, and abalone rosette, and the same inlays that were used on the 1995 Limited Edition Grand Auditoriums. The resurrected Koa Series included two dreadnoughts, the K10, which had a Englemann spruce top, and the K20c, a koa top, back and sides guitar with a cutaway, and the K22, a koa back, back and sides grand concert." I can find no reference to the 422K. They do mention that in 1996 Taylor decided to increase the number of limited editions they would release for that year. They decided to release some during the spring and some during the fall. The spring LTDs consisted of six models. There were 4 new variations of the 400 series, one of which was the 422-R with rosewood back and sides.

Sorry, I can't find any reference to the 422K in the book.

Joe:)

11. Lestercollector

Joe:
    Thank you for the information, it has been most helpful. I know that it's a 1996 for sure because I purchased it new, and I know it's a 422K because it's hand written inside the guitar. I seem to recall an article in Taylors "Steel & Strings" (?) monthly poublication that talked about the 422K. I'll see if I can locate it, and if so I'll post my findings.

Thanks again!

Joe

12. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

To be sure of the year, check the serial. They have the year in it.

13. da-boogieman

da-boogieman Member

I have a K22 LE all-koa and I can speak from experience...not a poor-man's guitar, but I was a lot poorer after buying it. I have some pretty expensive guitars, but this one is my most expensive. Nice for fingerstyle.

14. Lestercollector

Mine is not a K22 (the thread title is incorrect) it's a 422K

15. Lestercollector

Well I just finished reading Taylors Quarterly Publication "Wood & Steel" Volume 10, Fall 1996 and I have the answer to my question regarding the Grand Concert 422K.

The article was titled "King Koa" and basically what it says is that in 1996 Bob Taylor set out to reward his 400 series followers by making a limited run of 400 series Guitars in Hawaiian koa. The 410-K (dreadnought) and 412-K (Grand Concert) have koa backs and sides, with spruce tops. The 420-K (dreadnought) and 422-K (Grand Concert) have koa backs, sides and tops. Bob also went on to say that to bring the price down a bit on all the 400 series guitars made in 1996, he would ship them with a less expensive SKB Case. This did not apply to the Koa Series guitars.

Interesting that Taylor would drop the price of the 400s, and produce a limited edition run of 400s in the same year.. No complaints on my end, as I have a 422-K with the plush Taylor Hardcase and I still love it after ten years!

16. jimchen

jimchen Member

So how much would a used one cost today?

17. Lestercollector

I'm not really sure, as I've never seen one up for sale. New Ten years ago the 422-K was $1300.00

good question.

18. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member