1997 American Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DrOctagon, Jan 24, 2012.

1. DrOctagon

DrOctagon Member

So I'm being offered a 1996-97 American Strat for $550. It has the black finish over the top contour on the back which I found kind of strange and made me wonder. I already bought a guitar today and bought a newer American Strat a week ago. I really don't need it but it seems like a really good deal. Are these good guitars and if I find I want to get rid of it, what's the resale on these?

2. tnt365

tnt365 Member

I wouldn't do it if you already have your Strat position covered. But those 1997 strats are really nice IMO. I've played 4 '90s Strats, 3 '97s and 1 '99, all were exceptional sounding guitars and resonated/ acoustically sounded better then any other Strat I've played (mostly American Strats from 2006-present). I think Fender was making some exceptional guitars in the late '90s for some rason

3. DrOctagon

DrOctagon Member

Well the strat I have now is ash/maple this one's alder/rosewood and mine now has a humbucker in the bridge which I'm trying to swap out for an all single coil configuration

4. tnt365

tnt365 Member

huh, well in that case i would go for it, or at least see if you like the guitar in person/

5. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

I would ask what the weight is. I had a 97 in vintage white (I love that color) that played well but was a bit on the heavy side. I really like the neck shape and finish on the late 90's USA strats. $550 is a good deal for sure.

6. 440gtx6pak

440gtx6pak Member

I had a couple of mid 90's Strats. They were well made but had their shortcomings. Things like the swimming pool routes, heavy weight, and laminated bodies were just not for me. They lacked what I look for in a Strat. I prefer pre-cbs and the current ones.