1998 Carvin H2T Holdsworth

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by leftybill, Mar 1, 2012.

1. leftybill

leftybill Supporting Member

Could anyone characterize the sound ranges or neck specs of the above model for me? There is one for sale about 40 miles from me, but I do not want to spend the time checking out something that is not for me.
    Does this model have the 20 degree fret board radius?

2. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

I love the H2T- it's my favorite guitar. I have 6 of em :D

Yes, it has a very flat 20" radius. The neck is fairly hefty as well. Not boatneck big, but substantial. The scale is 25.5, too. I have smaller hands, tho, and I find it easy to get around on. The flatter radius might take some getting used to, but now I find I really dig it. The flatter radius with the larger neck, I think, is very easy to play - large necks with more vintage radii can be a bit hard on the hand. And I find skinny necks with flat radii hard to grab onto.

Soundwise, they are very woody and resonant. A little darker, I'd say, than a 335, but they also resist feedback pretty well - I play metal with mine in front of a pretty screaming amp, and don't really have any more feedback problems than with any other guitar.

Here's a pair of vids with a more vintage sound - the pickups are PAF based w/A2s so the top end is a little crispy, but you can get the idea.

I find the H2T to be very versatile. I have one with Wolfetone pickups for more vintage stuff (the Smits went into a Carvin CT), and the others have Duncan Alt8s and Pearly Gates, but I've cycled a bunch of pickups through em, and they all sound great. They can do heavy gain, or sweet cleans, or anything in between. The low end doesn't flub the way some hollowbodies do.

What guitars do you usually play? I'd say the H2T favors people in the Gibson/PRS camp, playability-wise, more than Fender. but YMMV.

3. tylerfreak

tylerfreak Member

4. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

Largest neck of any guitar i have ever played.

5. ZoomRmc

ZoomRmc Member

The neck is big but feels great.
    What was not so comfortable for me at first were the larger frets. But it's a custom option, so there could be installed medium-jumbo or even vintage ones on a particular guitar.

6. leftybill

leftybill Supporting Member

Deathmonkey, thanks for the excellent sonic samples. The guitar does have a airy and resonant character. I have a Warmoth thin line tele that has some that character but voiced like a tele. Most of my guitars are single coils, i.e. strat's, Gibson P-90's etc. I just picked up a set of TV jones that I have in a jazzmaster which I am digging.
    That neck seems very different. It is probably classical guitar like.

7. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Yes-thanks for the samples. Nice Job !

I never liked the shape of that Guitar but it sounds excellent to my ears in the Video- very nice touch and playing, despite your disclaimer.

A very warm sounding Guitar- may be the warmest of all Carvins (?).

Would be interesting in an H-S-H with coil cuts and the single coil maybe straight to output jack.

If I like the neck- I'd live with the shape ( I wasn't too crazy about the shape of my 80s Mockingbird either,tones and playability were the thing ) for those warm blooming tones.

8. Phalanx200bc

Phalanx200bc Member

It must be chambered...it has a woody airy sound to it. Nice work.