1998 Les Paul Standard DC bridge pickup

abullington

I just bought this guitar primarily for playing slide (which I have spent the winter learning) in my Chicago style blues band. Love the guitar and...to my surprise...I like the neck pickup quite a bit.

My main guitar is a Collings I 35 Deluxe with Lollars and it absolutely kills on jazz and blues. I was all set to order a set of Lollars for this cool double cutaway Les Paul until I got it and realized the neck pickup sounds wonderful as is. Not so hot on the bridge pickup which is just ok.

i like to sometimes (if the solo is going well) switch to the bridge pickup about 2/3 through the solo and I want it to sound like I'm stepping on the gas. The stock pickup just doesn't do that. Any suggestions for a gritty replacement? Not sure what the stock pickups are and can't seem to find that info online. Thanks!

Andy B

lemonpaul59

I just bought this guitar primarily for playing slide (which I have spent the winter learning) in my Chicago style blues band. Love the guitar and...to my surprise...I like the neck pickup quite a bit.

My main guitar is a Collings I 35 Deluxe with Lollars and it absolutely kills on jazz and blues. I was all set to order a set of Lollars for this cool double cutaway Les Paul until I got it and realized the neck pickup sounds wonderful as is. Not so hot on the bridge pickup which is just ok.

i like to sometimes (if the solo is going well) switch to the bridge pickup about 2/3 through the solo and I want it to sound like I'm stepping on the gas. The stock pickup just doesn't do that. Any suggestions for a gritty replacement? Not sure what the stock pickups are and can't seem to find that info online. Thanks!

Andy B
The guitar originally came with a 490/498 pair. They suck. How high or low are the pickups? Someone could have lowered the bridge pickup.

I replaced mine with a pair of Manlius HR59s, and both pickups sound quite meaty.

http://www.manliusguitar.com/products/hot-rod-59

JDaniels

I actually like the 498T pickup, but like the above poster stated, try height first. Lots of options to step on the gas. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 498 is kinda medium output anyway so a step up from there you're getting into JB or Custom territory.

abullington

Thanks for the info ..I appreciate it. I adjusted the pickups right off so that's not the problem. i don't HATE this pickup, just would like something with a little more kick. Like I said, the neck pickup is fine.

I actually like the 498T pickup, but like the above poster stated, try height first. Lots of options to step on the gas. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 498 is kinda medium output anyway so a step up from there you're getting into JB or Custom territory.

Trending Topics