• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

1999 Guild DCE-5 Info

touji

I've recently begun my search for an acoustic, and I've run into a used '99 Guild DCE-5 that has tickled my fancy. I'm on the verge of purchasing for $899 with an OHSC (had a center seam crack repaired).

I'm wondering if anybody knows anything about Guilds in this year / era? I've seen people throwing around the term Westerly RI, but I can't find any solid dates on when this was. I've also heard that post-Fender purchase, Guild is no longer as great as they were before Fender came into the picture. Can anybody give me some information / advice on this potential purchase? I appreciate it a lot!

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
Guild's Westerly factory operated from 1968 until about 2005, so this guitar would have been built there. Fender bought the company in 1995, but there wasn't much change in the guitars at that point. Unlike most other major manufacturers, Guild has never had a period where quality control was problematic. The feel of the guitars, such as the neck profile, changed a little when production moved from Westerly to Corona (I haven't played any of the New Hartford factory guitars), but nothing became obviously worse or better. There have been many great Guilds produced during the Fender era - this seems to be a consensus among Guild fans.

saneff

I have a Guild DCE5 made at Westerly and it is an amazing guitar. Some really great players and knowledgeable guitar people have tried to buy it from me.

You need to buy that guitar. Trust me.

touji

Thanks for the info so far guys.

In terms of pricing, does $899USD sound about right? I feel like I've seen them go for a little cheaper at other places that didn't have a seam repaired. The repair doesn't bother me too much but it's bothering my dad to pay $899 for a guitar thats been repaired like so.

cas29

I had a DCE-3 from the same era (late 90s). Was a GREAT sounding guitar. The only difference between mine and the DCE-5 was mine was lam flame maple b/s to the DCE-5 lam rosewood b/s.

I sold mine for under 800 but I feel I gave the guy a good deal. Mine had the OHSC also.

I cant tell you if that guitar is good deal or not with a crack repair. Because I dont know much about that department. It would be too high for ME, though and I wouldnt. But thats just me.

http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/dce5.html

Some more info there.

BTW, the ONLY reason why I sold it was because it was just too damn big and uncomfortable for me to play. I found myself not playing it much at all.

drive-south

I had a DCE5. Bear in mnd that these have laminated backs and sides, not solid rosewood. I bought mine when the model was discontinued for $600. That's about the most I'd want to pay for one.

saneff

Yeah, mine was in absolute pristine condition when I bought it from a friend and still is. He bought it new, and he had planned on learning guitar but never got around to it. So it was kept in it's case since built and humidified properly. I paid like $750 for it (hard to say exactly, because I bought 2 from him at the same time).

For a repaired one, $899 might be a touch high. The thing is, if it sounds like mine does you would never regret paying that for it I can assure you. And they are good looking guitars too, I think.

I tend to think of it that way. If you want it and can afford it, buy it. If it sounds the way you thought it did you will never regret it. I have a couple of guitars that knowing what I know now I would have paid 5 times what I paid for them.

cyrilruiz

Playing guitar is one of my hobby. Guild DCE-s is a acoustic 6-string guitar. The DCE5 I received came equipped with a AA solid spruce top, laminated rosewood back and sides. its famous and popular guitar. Guild's Westerly factory operated from 1968 until about 2005.

Trending Topics