1spot powering.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by benbenben, May 29, 2008.

1. benbenben

benbenben Member

Hey guys,

I'm a little bit scared of doing this so I'll ask you all.

I've got a whole lot of pedals on my board, most of which are "normal 9v, low mA" pedals. I've just purchased 2 1spots and I'm hoping this will be suffice and will not be detrimental to how my pedals sound.

Here are my pedals.

Peterson Strobostomp
    Lovepedal Eternity
    Caberetlinda Silver Kiss
    Paul Cochrane Timmy
    Zvex Fuzz Factory
    Ehx H.O.G.
    Visual Sound Visual Volume
    Fulltone Standard Clyde Wah
    Empress Tremolo
    Empress Super Delay
    Boss DD-5

I guess my main concerns is the Super Delay and the HOG and maybe the Fuzz Factory... DD-5. It says the superdelay and HOG are both 9v but use highish mA. Will it work if i power all my pedals with the two 1spots? Thanks..

2. Chippo

Chippo Member

Hey

I used 1 spots for about a year and had absolutely no problem at all. I think you will be fine to just use one. I had mine running 17 pedals and some of them were a little power hungry. I used to use a pedal power 2 plus and a t rex fuel tank. Both are $400 where I am and then I bought 2 one spots off ebay for $20. I replaced $800 worth of power supply with a $10 power supply. I think the one spots are awesome. I never needed the second one so keep one as a backup just in case.

Lastly if all else fails I have found thier customer service amazing. They look after you so well. Go for it

3. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I have one that is in a bag I take to gigs. I quit using it when I measure the output one day with a multimeter and it said nearly 13 volts!

That being said I used one for a year or two before testing it and I don't remember having any major problems with my pedals. I bought a pedal power 2 and it really improved the sound quality of a few pedals but mostly they sounded the same to me.

4. benbenben

benbenben Member

so it was pumping out an extra 4volts? i assume that's bad right :S Anyone else can contribute to this?

5. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

6. Analog Assassin

Analog Assassin Senior Member

I tested mine and it was just shy of 10 volts, like 9.9 or so.
    I would test the voltage of the onespot while it's got pedals plugged in. I'm sure under load the voltage will probably be much closer to spec.

7. mbratch

mbratch Member

Not sure what you mean by "power all my pedals with 2 1SPOTs". Do you mean wire the 1SPOTs in parallel and have both simultaneously driving all pedals? Why not just designate some pedals to one of them, and the rest to the other? (Or maybe that's what you mean.)

I used a 1SPOT for awhile, and they do source a lot of current and work fairly well. But I ultimately ended up going to a more expensive Voodoo Labs Pedal Power because I got a couple of pedals that when powered in conjunction with my other pedals would generate a weird noise in my amp. When I powered them separately, the problem went away.

With two 1SPOTs, you could possible avert this problem if it were to come up. :)

8. chewynodoubt

chewynodoubt Senior Member

A HOG at 9v, that sounds weird? my POG was 18v and even the power pump adapter wouldn't fit the jack on the PG

9. benbenben

benbenben Member

hmm thats true i havent bothered trying as i'm too scared but it does say its a 9v... not sure..

what i meant by using 2 1spots is just designating the two to different pedals. I might just use one for now and have the hog with it's seperate adapter and keep the other 1spot as a backup....