1st colonoscopy!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by dallasblues, May 12, 2015.

1. dallasblues

dallasblues Member

Well... After hearing that a family friend was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer at the age of 43, I just got an appointment for a colonoscopy next week. Good times!

I'm only 40 years old. They typically say you need to start with em at 50 unless you've had a family history of colon cancer. Unfortunately that's what cut my grandad's life short. So, for a Mother's Day gift to my mom and wife I called the doc and got on the schedule. I meet with him Monday for a preliminary appointment and will have the procedure scheduled soon after.

I feel pretty confident that all will come back clear and healthy. And while I know it's a serious deal... there's some funny stuff that came from my buddies when I told them about it. Sometimes you just gotta laugh at the serious stuff too!

So... If you're of age, do what I did. Call the doc. It's treatable if caught early!

2. DYNA BILL

DYNA BILL Member

3. sleshnyc

sleshnyc Member

make sure you have something good to read

4. SimonBSinister

SimonBSinister Silver Supporting Member

It is a non event... I know so many people who are in the late 50's or older who haven't had one because they are afraid of the results... I can never understand that kind of thinking.

I had my first one at 40 and a second one at 50 .... Its a no brainer... If you have heartburn get an Endoscopy while your at it...

SBS

5. greenhilander

greenhilander Member

Day before is brutal. Day of is great. I've had 3.

6. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

Whats brutal about the day before? Is it drinking that stuff and getting rid of waste?

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Yeah. For me, the worst part was not eating for a day and a half. By 3am the morning of, I was ready to call it off and order a pizza. The procedure itself was nothing. Even the prep wasn't bad. Sure you spend some time in the bathroom, but it's not a big deal.

8. SimonBSinister

SimonBSinister Silver Supporting Member

This all depends on the DR... The DR I go to gave me a prescription for something. It was 2 bags of powder and a jug. You just took one package and mixed it with water. Tasted like lemonade. You drank a 1/4 of it every 15 minutes. Then you went to the bathroom for < than a hour. You then repeated it in the morning. It was way better than the 1st time I went... I think the stuff was called Ready Prep.

9. Belmont

Belmont Member

I've had three, the second one had to be redone becasue the prep didn't work properly.
    the tird time, they gave me a double dose of the prep, just to be sure.
    ask your doctor about doing a stronger than normal prep so you don't have to repeat.
    yeah it's an easy procedure and good on you for getting it done, good luck.

10. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

The biggest PITA for me was just trying to drink that much liquid. I do fine the night before....and then I have to drink more in the morning. Once I finish the liquid, I'm fine.

11. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I've had two. No biggy at all.

12. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

They put me out with Propofol. I hate to say it, but I know why Michael Jackson loved the stuff.....

Drinking the "solution" was like drinking flavored, soapy saltwater. Maybe because that's exactly what it was!

My advice: make it *COLD*. You can guzzle it without tasting it as much because it numbs your tastebuds.

13. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

My gift to my wife was not getting a colonoscopy.

14. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Silver Supporting Member

The not eating was surprisingly easy - I just drank a lot of water and clear juices - the procedure was a breeze as I slept through it - the evacuation part was no big deal -

the miserable part was choking down that god-awful tasting liquid they make you drink.

15. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Other than that nasty liquid you have to drink and the trips to the bathroom, it is 100% no problem. I was told that this was the case, and didn't believe it. As I was waking up after the procedure, I actually argued with the nurse that they hadn't done anything, it was that painless.

The other issue is the IV they will put in, but that wasn't a big deal at all. And that anesthesia they used gave one of the best buzzes I have ever had. Magnificent stuff.

+1 on the endoscopy, I was asked this several times when I got an endoscopy a few months after the colonoscopy. They can do both quickly and only put you under once.

16. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Silver Supporting Member

I tried cold thinking it might help - no dice - that stuff is so foul it will wake up dead tastebuds. :barf

17. DYNA BILL

DYNA BILL Member

The best part is the most EPIC fart you've ever let loose after it's all over! :banana

18. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Supporting Member

I had mine this year - Propofol is AWESOME......

They call it Michael gas.....

19. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

First one I had, I was 'present' during the procedure. Not a fan of that...

[​IMG]

20. DYNA BILL

DYNA BILL Member

I don't remember any of the procedure. I was out like a light, so I didn't get to enjoy the buzz.
    My wife, on the other hand, had hers 2 weeks later and watched the whole thing on the monitor.