1st Major Label Credit! (A Dad Brag)

LSchefman

>>But, he's getting ready to start pre-med at Stanford, so I'll live vicariously that way through him!<<

NOT TOO SHABBY! Wow! Sounds like a VERY smart young man!

LSchefman

>> Hey Jamie's dad. I was one of those engineers on the record and I mixed most of the songs on there.<<

How nice of you to say so! Jamie has the best things to say about you and the other pros who made this gig possible for him.

Back when you started mixing, Jamie mentioned how difficult this mix was from the perspective of the sheer number of tracks, to the many different instruments that needed to be heard, to the vocals, etc.

He told me, "Dad, you would not be able to mix this record." Now that I've heard it, I have to agree. My mixing chops aren't nearly as well developed. Every song really sounds great, despite the complexity of the instrumentation and the effects, the synths, the whole nine yards. This had to be one hell of a mix challenge. And the record IS excellent sounding. Also, the mix retains the dynamics of each song, but still sounds slamming (I mean this in a good way!). Really great work!

I mix mainly short 30 second ad tracks that I write; there isn't that much going on, and they're far less complex. This project had to be a real challenge, but man, you were up to the task. I take my hat off to you!

Thanks for the kind words about my son! And he tells me that Sonny is very talented, too!

gsf

Congrats, Schef! That work ethic was developed before he ever went to college, something you and your wife were the big part of--very gratifying. It's great these circumstances went his way. You know he's been watching your professionalism all these years, which gave him the 'bug' to fall in love with what he's doing. Great reality here. Cheers.

ImmortalSix

That is awesome man!!!

Props to the kid, and you and and whoever raised him --- hard workers + skills are far too often "not in the same place at the same time," but it sounds like your son has it together!

LSchefman

>> Question - does he share your love of gear? What are his amp tastes?<<

He's a bit less of a gear nut than I am, but he does get into nice stuff when he can.

He seems to prefer classic British-sounding amps. His main recording rig is a Roccaforte Rockie through a Mesa cab. Jamie plays a variety of guitars, and he's very much a "pick the right guitar, mic a real amp properly and get a great sound" kind of guy. He also likes to plug into my TR when he's at my studio, and thinks it's a great amp, too. I'm sure he'd like to grab mine!

If I recall correctly, there was a Bogner Shiva head recorded with the band that he also thought was a terrific amp, as well as a nice sounding Vox AC30. He told me that the AC30 sounded fabulous when he found some NOS tubes for it, so he's definitely into the NOS tube thing.

We do have our gear conversations, but while I tend to dwell on that, he's moved on to the music after a minute or so. Probably a good thing!

enharmonic

Old Growth
Platinum Supporting Member
That is incredible! Congrats to both you and your son. You are to be commended for your support of his musical aspirations. :dude

Best news I've heard all day. Really stoked over here. :aok

Shadscbr

Congrats, what a cool story!!

The older I get, the more I realize that you just can't put a price on life enriching experiences. It sounds like your son is collecting an invaluable set of life lessons for his toolbox, a great foundation for sure...you should be proud :)

Shad

Bryan T

guitar owner
I feel like I've watched your son grow up a bit. I remember you posting when he decided to go to Michigan, particularly about the audio program. I'm glad to see that he's putting his education to good use.

I heard one of the new 30 Seconds to Mars tracks on the radio today (they are promoting the heck out of it here) and it sounded good.

LSchefman

>>I feel like I've watched your son grow up a bit. I remember you posting when he decided to go to Michigan, particularly about the audio program. I'm glad to see that he's putting his education to good use.<<

Yeah, I guess I've been excited about his progress for a while now, since he went away to school in gosh, '04! How cool that you remember that.

I have this memory of dropping Jamie off for orientation at the school...a block from the dorm so he could appear to have simply sprung from the earth and not be a person who actually had parents, struggling to balance a giant duffle and a guitar case as he walked up the street. LOL!

And before you turn around, there's graduation, and then this great gig...ok, I have a lump in my throat.

Huge non-music Digression: I love UM...alum, yeah, but also my middle daughter who got her BS in Nursing there, and got this wonderful job at Children's Hospital of Philly on the floor where they take care of kids with serious lung problems. When I visited her at her work, and saw what she did and how the kids and other professionals responded to her...ok, another big lump in my throat...she went away to school a typical teenager and came out a caring professional...man...

I've spoken (actually, after two minutes of a prepared talk, they pepper one with questions) to the music students at the school about music rights, licensing, doing ad work, etc., and it's really amazing how bright and knowledgeable these kids are. When I drive back home and think about the place, and what it's meant to me and my famiy...I get as mushy as M's defense was on the football field this year (hey maybe that's why they sucked, they were getting all choked up about the school!).

Thanks for all the warm responses guys!

gregorybj

That's great! I am hoping to find some industry work when I graduate myself. Michigan sounds like it has a fine program.

By the way, I would like to thank my school, Appalachian State, for beating Michigan in one of football's finest upsets. :)

Greggy

>>I feel like I've watched your son grow up a bit. I remember you posting when he decided to go to Michigan, particularly about the audio program. I'm glad to see that he's putting his education to good use.<<

Yeah, I guess I've been excited about his progress for a while now, since he went away to school in gosh, '04! How cool that you remember that.

I have this memory of dropping Jamie off for orientation at the school...a block from the dorm so he could appear to have simply sprung from the earth and not be a person who actually had parents, struggling to balance a giant duffle and a guitar case as he walked up the street. LOL!

And before you turn around, there's graduation, and then this great gig...ok, I have a lump in my throat.

Huge non-music Digression: I love UM...alum, yeah, but also my middle daughter who got her BS in Nursing there, and got this wonderful job at Children's Hospital of Philly on the floor where they take care of kids with serious lung problems. When I visited her at her work, and saw what she did and how the kids and other professionals responded to her...ok, another big lump in my throat...she went away to school a typical teenager and came out a caring professional...man...

I've spoken (actually, after two minutes of a prepared talk, they pepper one with questions) to the music students at the school about music rights, licensing, doing ad work, etc., and it's really amazing how bright and knowledgeable these kids are. When I drive back home and think about the place, and what it's meant to me and my famiy...I get as mushy as M's defense was on the football field this year (hey maybe that's why they sucked, they were getting all choked up about the school!).

Thanks for all the warm responses guys!
"M" stands for Mizzou.:banana

And congrats on your son's success.

bigroy

Congrats! And a very real validation that if you want to be involved in the recording business, you need to come to the table prepared. His efforts have paid off.

LSchefman

>> By the way, I would like to thank my school, Appalachian State, for beating Michigan in one of football's finest upsets.<<

Hey, there's a first and a last time for everything! ;)

I wouldn't call it "one of" the finest upsets; it was the best-ever upset to be sure! And you know, even a UM fan had to be happy for the kids who pulled that off.

And the same Mich team that lost to App State went on to beat Florida and Tebow that same season, so I think that says something fantastic about the grit and skill of that App State team.

>>"M" stands for Mizzou.<<

There's a bit of a buzz about Mizzou possibly joining the Big Ten. I for one would love to see it happen. Mizzou's journalism and communications schools have a very strong national reputation, and I'm sure the other programs are equally strong.

Thanks so much for the good wishes, all!

Trending Topics