1x10 cab: the solution to the living room wars?

Mr F90

Silver Supporting Member
Everybody on here tends to label the 1x10 as boxy and small and well, a compromise.

I've really never played one. Heard a few at band practices over the years. I played with a guy who used one and I never knew what to think because he was that guy who thought his guitar should be louder than the vocalist.

But will it solve my home problem? Wife says my amp is too loud with a 1x12 even with the master volumes on like 2.

I've already tried low watt amps. I think a greenback or creamback might help. Low effeciency?

PeddleGuy

Everybody on here tends to label the 1x10 as boxy and small and well, a compromise.

I've really never played one. Heard a few at band practices over the years. I played with a guy who used one and I never knew what to think because he was that guy who thought his guitar should be louder than the vocalist.

But will it solve my home problem? Wife says my amp is too loud with a 1x12 even with the master volumes on like 2.

I've already tried low watt amps. I think a greenback or creamback might help. Low effeciency?

I've been married 29 years.

My method is effectively, "Be grateful it's not louder", and it works.
If she complains about Master on 2, she gets Master on 3 for a while, then 2 seems quiet.
I remind her she married a guitar player.
I encourage her to turn up her volume, and I supplied her with the equipment to drown me out (I thought of this already) so all her stuff cranks.

I get my time to be loud, and she has to deal with it.
I deal with her habits and there are plenty of them... its' a give & take, but you need to stand up for yourself or else she won't respect you. Don't be afraid to make a demand.

fffppptmeh

I have been wondering the same thing actually.

When I want to be quieter lately I use one or two 1x10” Marshall lead 12 “mini stack” closed back cabinets. One has a old g10-d25 and the other a new creamback.

Won’t set the world on fire, but I notice that it sounds “better” in the >85dB range than my 2x12 cabinet does with a dv-77 and swamp thang. The cones are not moving enough perhaps. I also noticed the larger cab is more sensitive than the small Marshall’s. Measured with the same amp, at the same level of volume with equal distance.

Above this level of volume in the 90dB+ range there is no question my larger cab is better, but for many of you guys that is wife pissing off level.

No idea if a 1x12 is better, just working with what I have.

Top Bottom