Votes: 9 24.3%
  • 2x12 Open Back

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • 2x12 Closed Back

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Robert Libutti

Silver Supporting Member
I've mentioned some of these topics in various forms over the past few years, hoping for some pro tips.

TLDR: Looking for a cab for home use with an Orange TH100 and attenuator. Suggest 1x12, 2x12, Open back or closed back.

Right now my amp line up is TH100 with a 4x12, TH30 Combo with a 1x12, Boss Katana 50, and a Victory Kraken Preamp with an en route Power Stage 170. My band has moved to a rental band space, so I'm not keen on leaving the TH100 there all of the time, hence the Kraken/PS setup. Now that the TH100 is at home more, the TH30 is redundant, and the Katana covers the grab and go (the TH30 never goes anywhere because it's heavy). So I'm considering selling the TH30. What's the best home cab? I'm leaning 2x12 because it really adds a lot of versatility. I have the combo, the 2x12, the 4x12, tube head, and board based solution. Is open back a better solution for home since it's less directional giving a more full sound at home, maybe a bit less low end resonance to annoy the neighbors (I live in a townhouse)? And again, it's yet another variation and verstatility. I ran the TH100 through the TH30's cab and it sounded good. I'm leaning toward the Orange 212 OB; looking at the some of the common top brands - Marshall, Boogie, Orange, it's the cheapest (not including MX stuff). Avatar is a tab cheaper still, but free shipping vs shipping almost cancels out the difference.

SteveO

It really depends on the type of music you play and the sounds you prefer. For higher gain playing, closed back generally (but not always) sounds better. For cleaner playing, open back generally (but not always) sounds better.

Geeze

Is open back a better solution for home since it's less directional giving a more full sound at home, maybe a bit less low end resonance to annoy the neighbors (I live in a townhouse)? And again, it's yet another variation and verstatility.
If volume control and the ability to play a bit louder [accent on a bit] are needed I'd go closed. I use closed back cabs pointed at a cloth covered couch to control the sound 'bounce' that can convert your walls into passive radiators for your neighbors to enjoy - or not. I've experimented with 8 feet away down to pushed up against the couch and I'm always amazed [the closer to the couch - sounds like a Yes tribute band staffed by dads] at how loud the amp really is. I've lived in townhouses [2] since 2009 and have zero noise complaints with 50 & 100 watt NMV Marshalls.

I have always been a 2X or 4X speaker cab guy but I'm currently running through a pair of 1x12's about 8 feet apart - sound good.

Russ

Robert Libutti

Silver Supporting Member
If volume control and the ability to play a bit louder [accent on a bit] are needed I'd go closed. I use closed back cabs pointed at a cloth covered couch to control the sound 'bounce' that can convert your walls into passive radiators for your neighbors to enjoy - or not. I've experimented with 8 feet away down to pushed up against the couch and I'm always amazed [the closer to the couch - sounds like a Yes tribute band staffed by dads] at how loud the amp really is. I've lived in townhouses [2] since 2009 and have zero noise complaints with 50 & 100 watt NMV Marshalls.

I have always been a 2X or 4X speaker cab guy but I'm currently running through a pair of 1x12's about 8 feet apart - sound good.

Russ
One thing that's nice is my house is from 1978, so it's a bit more old school construction. The sound transmission is very low. I had my 412 at home for a little while these past few months and I could not turn up at all without fear of finally pissing off the neighbors. It just gets FAT and resonant at the lowest volume.

magicaxeman

Another vote for a 2x12 open back cab, you need a cab that's going to sound good in the room, so avoid close mic'd demo's online and listen to room mic's

Guitar Dave T

1x12 is generally easier to dial in and control it's more focused resonance in homes, though a 2x12 can sound pretty awesome there too.

vintage66

Oranges love V30’s which makes sense since that’s what’s in their cabs. My Timy Terror also loves greenbacks I’m a 4x12 but is a bit dark through my 2x12 open back with creambacks. It’s more about speaker matching than number of speakers imo. Orange 2x12’s are bulky and heavy though.

Oinkus

You can get the option of closed or open back cabs. If you want to turn it up occasionally get 2x12 with removable back panels and put some appropriate speakers for your rig such as Scumbacks.

helrazr84

I’d normally say open back in this case but depending on the room size and placement it can sound great or not so great.

I actually prefer my closed back cabs in my music room. Cape cod style house with pitched ceiling upstairs. Open back Bogner cab I have in there sounded awful when I tried it in some locations. Sounds glorious in others.

Robert Libutti

Silver Supporting Member
I ended up going against the vote and getting the 212 open back. I jumped on it sooner than planned because I found a really good deal on a B-stock cab with free shipping (which turned out to be in perfect condition, probably just returned). I think it was a good choice. I played for about an hour at a comfortable volume and it sounded great, full. Much less boomy than the closed back 412 so I really can turn it up a bit louder without that crushing low end that is too much for a townhouse.

On a side note, I have gotten some killer deals during COVID. One thing that tells me is that places are hurting, which sucks. But I've bought way more on a shorter time frame than any other time. B-stock pedals and sales on software that have just been amazing. Everything in perfect condition.

Trending Topics