1x12 amps brighter than 2x12 amps? (yes, the same circuit)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rawkguitarist, Mar 19, 2008.

1. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

OK, those of you that have had experience with the same amp in both a 1x12 and 2x12 format. Did you find the 1x12 to be significantly brighter.

I have the exact same amp in both formats. It's just so weird to me how much brighter the 1x12 amp is. Experimented with using both amp "heads" and same speaker, the 1x12 is always brighter.

Any one else with this observation?

I've found that if I want to gig with my 1x12, it's best to stick with one of my warmer guitars. (this weekend actually) I've read that with a 2x12 there's a slight phase cancellation that goes on that smooths out the highs, any truth to that?

2. JZG

JZG Member

I think you're on to something here. The lack of phase cancellation is probably what you're experiencing with the perceived brightness of a 1 x 12 amp.

3. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

There is a difference in how a 2x12 is wired up. See if changing to parallel makes a difference (or to series if they are already wired parallel)

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I hadn't thought about the wiring. My 2x12 is wired in series. Wiring in series, does that create a sound that's less bright?

I prefer the sound of my 2x12 though, I like the warmer, smoother tone.

Any other chime in's?

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I've had 1x12 and 2x12 Club Royales. The 2x12's always sounded "fuller" in the mids/lo-mids, which I think overall gives the perception of being 'less bright' than a 1x12.

6. bynt

bynt Member

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't know if I would say "brighter" as much as the 2x12 just sounds bigger, fuller, and "less bright".