1x12 cab vs 1x15 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by eddie101, Feb 11, 2012.

1. eddie101

eddie101 Member

I'm thinking about getting a 1x15 cab for blues/rock/gospel applications and am wondering if anyone has tried the said cab? What is the advantage/disadvantage of 1x15 over 1x12? I already own a couple 1x12 cabs and I guess I'm bored, if that's the right term for it. :) I just want to try something different. Basically, I want something that's portable - no 2x12s or 4x12s for me - and yet has the clarity and power to keep up with a drummer. Also, what speaker would you recommend? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ed

2. epluribus

epluribus Member

Wow, for keeping up with a drummer, bassist, and keys...Deluxe-sized 2x10 for me. Slots you into the mix, tons of punch and focus, doesn't need to be loud to be heard. Just can't EQ it like you would a 4x12 or you'll let the bees out.

A 1x15...we'll see what the owner community has to say. Seems counter-intuitive if you want to sit in a busy mix, but I'm speculating here. I've always thought of them as killer small-mix cabs.

--Ray

3. KWCabs

KWCabs Member

Biggest downside is finding 15" guitar speakers, not many on the market.

4. chervokas

chervokas Member

I love a 1X15 for the full, uncompressed, undistorted bottom octave, the not-too-bright high end and the more balanced frequency spectrum that results when you actually have full bottom octave extension. I use bright guitars, bright amps, low cap cable so I don't like a speaker with a peaky top end. But I agree with the idea that some of the frequency advantages of a 1X15 get lost in a busy, rock-type mix, whereas a 2X10 really cuts.

FWIW I use an Emi Legend 15 in a partially open backed cab.

5. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

I've been using a 1x15 for years (currently a JBL D130). With a tweed deluxe. I like the complexity that a 15 can project, deep, solid lows, nice bright sizzle, too. Sounds about as big as a 2x12, but more open.

I've never played with another electric guitar, so I've never noticed any problem sitting in a mix at all.

Not every 15" speaker will necessarily matchup with any amp and be right - I had a Jensen for a while, and it was okay, and I had a no-name for a while that wasn't right. But I definately think a 15" is a great guitar speaker.

6. eddie101

eddie101 Member

Ok. Between Delta 15, EVM15 and JBLD130; which speaker do you recommend for blues/Rock applications? Which one is a boat anchor? :)

7. epluribus

epluribus Member

If you pick Scumback, don't use it in lakes treated with pond cleaner.

HTH.

--Ray

8. dangayle

dangayle Member

I like using a 15" precisely because of the extended low end frequency range. I use a POG2, so being able to hit the low notes without my speaker rattling to death is great. The overall headroom is also much higher than your typical 12" guitar speaker.

If you're into speaker breakup as part of your sound, that makes it much harder to find the one you'll want.

9. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

TRM Cabs can make you an unfinished solid wood + birch slant front duct ported 1x15 for a very fair price. I have two, one has a Weber California 15 and the other varies between Blue Dog 15, Michigan 15, Emi Big Ben, or EVM15L / Force 15.

1x10 < 1x12 < 1x15 < 2x12

Dont' worry about a 15 sitting in the mix, it will be a bit more flexible and adaptable than a 1x12 and will eq and sit just fine, and you will never get lost standing next to the drums. If you are not doing heavy distortion, then I would suggest the California or the Big Ben. If you want to be ready for anything without being too bright or too edgy, use the EV. If you like bright and edgy, try the JBL. A lot of people like the Legend 15'ers, but they always seem a bit thin and bright for my taste.

If you are on big stages and the band is always extra loud, consider buying a used wedge shaped 2-way PA cab, remove the horn and leave the horn hole as a port, and put a 15 inch EV in there. You will never go unnoticed with that cab, guaranteed.

10. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

After doing tons of research here and there, one consensus is that the Eminence Big Ben is a good option. If you have a darker amp, the EVM15-L might work. I have a WGS-15 that I need to put in a cab but expect good things from that and the EV SRO 15" that I just had reconed.

I have tried the Neo 15" - ok, but I like a speaker with more character, a "musical" sound. My fav 15" is the Altec 418B - Alnico mag (the 421 has a ceramic mag).
    [​IMG]

Here's some discussion: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=171378
    There's a almost always a few on eBay. Timbre Wolf here on thegearpages (our tube guy) agrees with me on how good this speaker is. ~RR

11. eddie101

eddie101 Member

Truly appreciate the input, gents. :)

12. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

I have Fender Tweed Pro that I've tried various 15" speakers in. Well, three different speakers:
    Vintage Jensen P15P(original/stock)-Smooth, smokey, early breakup.
    Weber P15P vintage Neo(no longer made)-More neutral sounding than the vintage AlNiCo, but still smooth with a bit later breakup.
    Eminence Legend 15-Tight bottom end, smooth middle and pleasant top end(not too bright), very little breakup.
    If I could get the Emi's bottom end and the vintage P15P smokey-ness, with less break up, I'd have my perfect 15" speaker. It would probably have to be a bit more of a British speaker design, I suppose, to achieve my desired tone. Maybe the Big Ben?

13. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

I have multiple 15s from the 50s through the 70s. My favorite is the JBL D130F, with a couple of Magnatone pulls not far behind.

Kind reagards,
    Steve4

14. Onioner

Onioner Member

Huh. I'm doing just that. Picked up the Cali just last night. Gonna be a week before I can order the cab, but I'm going right back to TRM. It'll be my fifth. Love that guy.

15. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

I'am gonna agree with Rhythmrocker,,an Altec 418B is a full range speaker,,it'll produce good treble, without getting fizzy. They have a smooth/even responce that's hard to get with most of todays 15in. units.
    And, the prices ar'nt bad,,the bay usually has a few.

16. epluribus

epluribus Member

Fine, fine...just when I figured I was done building cabs for a while and rotating different kinds of speakers... :beer

17. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

You are doing the right thing!

My new favorite is the Weber Chicago!

Got one today, absolutely mint condition. I mounted the Chicago in the TRM cab and it is Absofreakinlutely AWESOME sound! (Rivera K55 amp + MIA Strat) WOW!

I really love the Michigan I have, but....... this Chicago sounds as good and as big as the (identical cab) 1x15 California, and easily beats the 1x12 Coyote Cab Michigan! Surprised me! :hiP

18. Wileyone

Wileyone Member

Undisputed king of the 15's. EV SRO 15

[​IMG]

19. Onioner

Onioner Member

I'd love to try a Chicago. I was tryin' to decide between that and the California, and went for the latter just 'cause right now I want big, bold cleans. One of these days...

I've got a 12" Thames too, which I've liked, but it's sitting on a shelf waiting for a cab. Maybe after the Cali gets a home.

20. dughaze

dughaze Member

How about a Delta Pro12a? I am with you on getting the full low end spectrum. I thought of going with 15" speakers but instead I started using the Delta Pro12a and the Celestion G12K-100 in my 1x12's and started closing in the backs of all my open backed cabs. I like some slightly oversized cabs sometimes too but I want the low end to be defined or I'm out.