1x12 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vrdyer, Nov 6, 2005.

1. vrdyer

vrdyer Silver Supporting Member

I am looking for a 1x12 cab with dimensions close to this

18 5/16" x 18 11/16" x 14

Anyone have any ideas. Birch plywood a must. Thanks.

2. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

Get yer self some Birch Ply and some tools, a good speaker and a jack and whatever else you need in electronics: wires etc . . . go to a fabric store and get some mesh, a few elbows greased, joints mitered, boards cut, screws screwed, and voila!

3. vrdyer

I wish I were that handy. I was looking for a store bought cab. But thanks for your suggestion.:confused:

4. Damon

Damon Member

My early 70's Traynor Bass Mate cab is very close to those dimensions, I think it's about 19x19x14. It started out as a 1x15" though.

Q: why the exact dimensions?

If it must be so, (down to the 16th of an inch), and you don't want to build it yourself, I'd suggest contacting a custom builder (there are a few here on this board).

5. vrdyer

Thanks. I looked at Avatar and Ear Candy. There both about 12'. That 14 inch deepth seems to provide a lot more bass response. Maybe I just need to buy an unloaded Mesa Boogie Thiele cab.

6. j37nm

j37nm Member

The ear candy is a good option. The speaker is front loaded, so it has a more open sound. There are ports, which don't whistle, but add a very "woody character," to it. The ports tame the highs (no spikey highs here), give the top end a nice smooth response. Kinda like comparing a vintage tube condenser microphone to a solid state condenser microphone. Mine is made of pine & mahogany (also adds to the warmth).

The bass is huge, but never flabby. Not sure how he (tim) accomplished this. Doesn't sound boomy at all. I am a huge mesa fan. I had the mesa 2 x 12 rectifier. It sounded "boomy," and the highs were spikey. This was even after the speakers were broken in. It was very directional. The sovereign 1 x 12 had similar bass response, but tighter, not boomy.

I also had a mesa thiele 1 x 12. it has a very, very focused sound (rear mounted). The sound shoots straight out, with no dispersion. When mic'ed up, it had a conventional sound. If this is what your after, this speaker cab will work for you. The port added some low end, but the overall tone didn't sound musical. In fact, the ear candy sounded so much bigger. The theile had a focused bass sound, the sovereign's bass was huge, 3d, and tight. The theile sounded better when you added an open back. You got the nice tone of the open back, and the bottom of the theile.

The sovereign is kinda like a mesa 3/4 closed back, in that you get the nice "air," of an open back, with the bottom & tightness of a closed back. A very balance speaker box. If this doesn't work for you, then you can have Tim custom make you a 1 x 12 to your specs, wood, front/rear speaker, etc. The guy will make anything you want. This is way cool. A custom cab made just for you.

I hope this helps.

7. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Why does it have to be those deminisons?

8. vrdyer

Actually, the explanation of the Ear Candy cab helped quite a bit. What speaker did you use in the sovereign cab?

Again, the dimensions I stated are the measurements of the Mesa Theile cab. I also have a 2x12 Recto cab that is 14 inches deep. I really like the Recto cab bass output with V30s.

9. j37nm

j37nm Member

I used vintage 30's, eminence red ryder, eminence screaming eagle, eminence black powder, mesa custom 90, peavey v30 copy in the sovereign cab.

They all sound really good. The vintage 30 has a lot of bottom. When you push that speaker in the sovereign, you will get a huge 3d sound with a lot of tight bass. It sounds like a 2 x 12, but doesn't sound flabby or "hollow," like the rectifier 2 x 12 cab (was using mesa f50). I don't like to disrespect mesa cabs (as mentioned, I love mesa products), but the rectifier cab is bland in comparison. If you like the conventional close back sound, then the theile, 1 x 12 recto, 1 x 12 avatar, etc, etc; may work for you.

I felt the recto 2 x 12 was too loud, flabby, focused, and had spikey highs that were piercing. It just didn't work for me. Good for metal, but not as diverse sounding for other styles. The ear candy cabs just have a different sound, good for all genre's, especially lead guitar.

I recently ordered an ear candy vagabond 1 x 12 to compliment the sovereign. Tim has a patent pending jointing system that helps with the cab tone. I am interested to see how the vegabond 1 x 12, a conventional close back design, sounds compared to other conventional close back designs. The thing cost me like $99, so wasn't too bad.

Anyway, I hope you find what you are looking for.

j37

10. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

I have an Ear Candy 1x12 Cab that is loaded w/ a Red Fang. Sound is excellent. I just never use it cuz I have 6 different 1x12 cabs. I'd be willing to part with it for $275.00 + shipping. Unloaded for $175.00. The tolex is Navy blue with vintage white front angled baffle; it has a removable wheat grill with 2 front ports. Made of birch. I got pics. let me know if you're interested.

Thanks!

davidkiddmusic@hotmail.com

david kidd

11. Damon

Damon Member

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/g112.htm

12. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The best 1x12 cab I have ever heard is easily the Bogner. It's probably close to those dimensions but I don't know them exactly.

13. vrdyer

I don't know how I over looked the depth on the Avatar. The Avatar is not ported and uses wood screws only to mount the speaker. I am sure he would add t-mounts for the screws on request. I am interested in the Ear Candy Sovereign cab. Maybe I can find someone on the list who is willing to part with an empty cab. I have a V30 and a EVM 12L to try out in a new cab. I really like the EVM 12L in the Mesa Theile cab.

14. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

+1

15. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

16. vrdyer

Zach,

Do you have an Ear Candy Sovereign cab? If so, please describe it...color, screen, handle, etc.

Thank you,

vrdyer

17. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

No, I dont have one...that post was a quote from davidkiddmusic's post. He said he has one he will sell. Take a look at his post and shoot him an email. Looks like he's got one he wants to sell...
    good luck :)