1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

1x12 Cabinet Build Project DONE (w/pics!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Guitar Dave T, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

This year, I gave myself a Christmas present, a 1x12 closed back extension cab. The catch was, I had to build it myself, which was done by pulling the table saw out of the relative warmth of an overcrowded garage. Pics with comments below:

[​IMG]

Here is the initial assembly. Materials are 1" solid "select" pine for the cabinet & framing, 1/2" birch ply for the baffle and back. ​

[​IMG]

Here is another early stage assembly pic, cabinet turned on its side. The sides, top and bottom are butt-joint fastened with glue, and 1x2 stipping screwed from the inside. No nails here.​

[​IMG]

Completed intial assembly, viewed from the back. The long strips are to attach the back and baffle, both designed to screw in from the back.​

[​IMG]

Sanding and rounding edges and corners.​

[​IMG]

Sanded cab with back laid in place, sanding helper.​

[​IMG]

A quick shot of the back panel, with recessed, Fender-style jack plate. I used a heavy duty, switchcraft jack.​

[​IMG]

With speaker baffled propped in place.​

[​IMG]

Again, from the front.​

[​IMG]

Front baffle (propped in place) drilled with T-nuts installed, grilled. Taped for staining and finishing.​

[​IMG]

Same stage, from front. It's hard to see in the picture, but I opted for a light stain here, because frankly, pine is a pain in the butt to stain, and it's easy to over-do and smudge, even using a prestain treatment as done here.​

[​IMG]

Baffle & Speaker final assembly. Note rubber feet and corner hardware.​

[​IMG]

Back installed. By now it's wired up and all hardware is added.​

[​IMG]

Looking down at finished cab. The finish over the stain is heavy duty, marine-grade varnish, three different sessions of applications, three coats per session, light sand between sessions after waiting the required 72 hour cure time.​

[​IMG]

Done!​

[​IMG]

With trusty Strat and '92 Blues Deluxe, transformer tapped to handle 2 8-ohm speakers in parallel, at 4 ohms. Sounds nice, too. Good Fender/Marshall hybrid tones.​

[​IMG]

Not sure how THIS would sound, but it sure looks cool!​

[​IMG]

Wall-o-sound with more axes & my son's dawgs.​

Conclusion: I built this on a hunch that the closed back G12H30 would compliment the open-back combo and its Vintage 30 speaker. I gigged with it this past weekend, using a Jetter Gain Stage Red, Gain Stage Blue, Sparkle Drive and Zendrive. The end result was everything I had hoped for and more. Great depth of tone, sweet, Fender sing and awesome Marshall like thump in a small package.

Thanks for looking!

EDIT, TWO YEARS LATER (1/5/10): Now using this cabinet with a 15+ year old, well broken in Vintage 30 in combination with the combo's Warehouse Guitar Speakers' ET-65. What an amazing sound...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
    grausch and Lostinsound like this.
  2. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Nice work Dave, that's built like a tank.

MikeY

3. Colt

Colt Member

Looks good, man!

4. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Looks great! I've been thinking of doing this with the help of a friend, who has been dying to try his new box joint jig!

Question - is the baffle/grillcloth one piece or is there a separate "frame" over which the grillcloth is stretched?

Any details - measurements or plans would be great!

Brian

5. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Thanks, the structural design is a cross between blackface Fender (baffle attachment) and a JBL DIY cabinet design a friend used in the 70's for a 2x15 bass cabinet. I guess the idea was for the bass cab to be as close to rattle-free as possible.

6. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Baffle is one piece with the grill cloth stretched and stapled directly to it. I considered stapling a frame to the front of the baffle to suspend the grill cloth just off the board, ala Fender, but didn't want to sacrifice either front relief or internal cabinet depth, even as little as 1/4" inch.

Using a box joint is a great idea if you need the inside clearance to slide in a chassis, drawer or just want a classy looking piece of furniture. But a 1x2 reinforced butt joint, while not as glamorous, actually gives you approximately one quarter more glued surface contact area, plus its screw-braced, right angle design naturally reinforces the right angle box shape.

7. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I started with the outside dimensions, cut the sides, top and bottom, then measured reinforcing pieces, baffle and back as I proceeded. Other than that, for butt-joint design, you want to make top and bottom rest on top of and under the sides, I-beam style. This way it can support any size or weight amp or head if need be.

8. canynrochris

canynrochris Member

Great job! Is staining the wood to bring out the grain and match the color tone of your other amps in your future? If so, take pics!
    (Love the puppies!!)

9. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

The cab is as stained as it's going to get. You can't tell in the photos, but I used a light "golden maple" stain. Problem with pine is you need to use a lot of prestain to keep it from blotching. This gives you a chance to apply a light stain before it blotches, but it will blotch if you go too many coats.

Besides, the only way it will match the other amps is applying tweed, which would look out of place on this more contemporary-Fender shaped cabinet, IMO. That's also why I went with a lighter grill cloth.

10. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Update: 'Just added details about the protective coat to the original post - marine grade varnish applied over 6 days.

11. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Looks great! You did a class A job on that. Have you played the amp into just the extension cabinet? Wondering if the un-tolexed/tweed cabinet breathes better.

TheGrooveking

12. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

Dave,

Your rig looked cool before, but it looks even better now!

I'm now thinking about buying a used Blues Deluxe to compliment my two Blues jnrs - inspired by one of your other posts!

I've tried making some cab's myself, and built a head for my Peavey Classic 30, so that I can use the cab with my Blues Jnr's, but the quality of my efforts is waaay below yours.

Congratulations on a truly professional looking cab.

13. pepi

pepi Member

That looks really nice :BEER I wish I was better at woodworking.

When I build an amp I always have to buy the woodwork :( Adds a lot more to the build cost.

14. KazJY

KazJY Member

Oh wow - EXCELLENT!!!!

How much were all the parts, since the labor was taken care of?

15. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Where did you get all the parts from? Aside from wood, is there anything else besides:

- handle
    - feet
    - jack plate
    - jack, wires
    - speaker mounting hardware
    - edges
    - grillcloth

Brian

16. katarzis

katarzis Member

17. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

Hey Dave - Do you know what the completed cab weighs?

18. canynrochris

canynrochris Member

19. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Not sure about that. The outside is heavily sealed with varnish - but the inside has no stain or varnish, so maybe?

20. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

And I wish I could build amps.